Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,978   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok perfect. I have a couple of 620 reels, but I have been getting very tired of constantly re-spooling 120. As long as it can feed off a regular 120, I'm happy. Thx.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wait is this? It's made by Graflex, and it looks like it would go under the ground glass.

www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a newer Graflex back. It's pretty thick. I would be surprised if your spring back would expand that far. You see the line along the base under the winder? That is a channel for the Graphics slides to move into and hold it against the back of the camera. I would just go for the 2x3 Grafmatic and use 6 sheets of film. But then again, that might not be what you want.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is a modern 2x3/6x7 slide-in back, the Linhof Rapid Rollex. Note that this is not the same thing as the more common Super Rollex.

The Rapid Rollex was also made in a 4x5/6x7 version, which is more commonly seen.

If you can still find a new one it will be very pricey, but used ones occasionally turn up for much less.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    B&H is now accepting orders for that 2x3 Rapid Rollex. It's a mere $1509.95. Good gracious! Do you realize that B&H also sells a NEW Mamiya RB67 AND NEW 90mm normal lens AND 6x7 back (also new) for just under $250 additional?

(Not to mention how many Crown Graphic/Century 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 with Graflok backs one could buy and still have money left over for working Horseman 6x9 back for the cost of that slide in Linhof back new?)

Wait, I misspoke-- I see that Sean at Camera West has a used 2x3/6x7 Rapid Rollex for a mere $850 pittance.

For the OP, I suggest he get creative with bolts, glue, or staples to graft a back onto his Pressman. This page may be of some help:
    http://www.buggrit.com/pressman.html
    Last edited by Pupfish; 04-22-2009 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I paid about $400 for mine, on eBay. Not bargain-basement by any means, but a lot less than Camera West is asking.

Even for cameras that have a Graflok back, a slide-in like the Rapid Rollex is a lot quicker and simpler to use in the field - you don't have to keep removing and replacing the back.

If the OP really wants to use the Pressman he already has, it's worth considering. If the point is just to find the cheapest way to shoot roll film in a view/press camera, then yes, it might be more cost-effective to switch to or even just add a different camera with a Graflok back.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 04-22-2009 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin