Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,380   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Press camera roll film back compatibility

Ok, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the large format section or the medium format section, but here it goes...

I have a Busch Pressman 2.25 x 3.25 press camera. I want to put a 120 roll film back on it. I have seen pictures of the roll film attachments for 4x5 Speed Graphics, which looks like a roll film back on a 4x5 holder.

Do the roll film backs come off the 4x5 carrier to mount on a 2.25 x 3.25 camera?.

Does a Graflex 120 roll film back for 2.25 x 3.25 fit on a Busch Pressman 2.25 x 3.25? I'm sure it's a stupid question, but I want to be sure before I buy anything.

Any alternative equipment suggestions are welcome.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollfilm backs for Graflex 2x3 are dedicated in size for the camera. (i.e. 4x5 backs won't work.) I have a Graphic 23 RH10, which is a 6x7 back for 2x3 cameras. I believe these backs are Graflok, but I attached mine to my springback camera with a set of springs and screws.

I can't answer about it fitting on a Busch Pressman.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So the actual roll film part does not clip off of the 4x5 holder component? I was looking for the type that you slide in under the ground glass like a film holder.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Images
    The Adapt-All-620 comes/came in a 2x3 size. It slips under the ground glass. They come up on Ebay from time to time. But you have to make sure it's the 2x3 and not the 4x5 size. Downside, they were designed for 620 film, not 120. You have to use a 620 spool on the take up side but a 120 will work on the feed side. The Busch Pressman's, both 2x3 and 4x5 will NOT accept Graphloc backs, you have to find one that slides under the GG.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Those roll-film backs that slide in under the ground glass like a film holder were not a Graflex product. Calumet has been the major manufacturer of those, but there were other vendors along the way. It is possible that there was one for the smaller than 4x5 view cameras, but you will just have to search the auction sites, etc.
    AFAIK, all the Graflex (brand) roll-film holders were designed to replace the ground glass back and required a Graflok back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you mean the type where both spools are on one side and the film takes a long tight path across the pressure plate? I think these were only made to slide in under 4x5 groundglass backs. It can't be made small enough to slide in under a 2x3 groundglass back.

The usual rollfilm backs attach with the Graflok mechanism, which, unfortunately is not present on the back of your camera. Here is a thread dealing with a Bushman to Graflok conversion, do some searching, as there are other ways to get a rollfilm back on that camera, but it may not be easy:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...ressman-c.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A vote her for the Adapt-a-roll. As finicky as it seems at first, with the 620 take up reel and a circuitous path for the film, I have had remarkably little trouble working with it on my Busch Pressman C. Cheap, sturdy and available, a good work around for the spring back camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just to clarify, The Adapt-A-Roll can fed off a 120 spool, as long as you have a 620 take up reel? That is exactly what I'm looking for.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Images
    Yes, a 120 spool works fine on the feed side, just need a 620 spool for take-up. You might want to go to the Large Format Photography site: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ and look around. There's some info on the AAR 620 there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin