Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    HI,
    I am getting back into pinhole photography, having been inspired by a Gallary photo in APUG. What inspired me the most was the sharpness of this particular image. I do like sharp images and hope that I can equal the sharpnes I have seen in some (few) pinholes.
    My question is: Is not sharpness directly related to the uniformity,as well as the size, of the hole. Would not a laser drilled hole yield a sharper image than a pin prick of the same diameter?
    Regards,
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    HI,
    My question is: Is not sharpness directly related to the uniformity,as well as the size, of the hole. Would not a laser drilled hole yield a sharper image than a pin prick of the same diameter?
    Regards,
    Bill
    Yes, likely; it's a sure bet just pushing a pin through foil or thin sheet stock will produce curled edges and occasional cracks along the edge. The type of pinholes I have made are not exactly a pin prick. A pin or needle is used to emboss a small "pimple" without actually piercing the metal, then the pimple is sanded with a gentle circular motion, generally with very fine (#400 or #600) wet sandpaper. This can produce a fairly uniform hole with a knife edge, which is also desirable. It also can be done in several iterations, working from each side. The method is described in a number of articles on making pinhole cameras.

I believe larger format cameras tend to produce sharper results also.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really get hooked you might check here: http://www.pinholeresource.com/shop/...category_id=14

<{B^) Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    In 2005 I used birch plywood left from a project for a lensboard (the edges had to be milled down to an appropriate thickness). Made a pinhole from aluminum soda can sidewall, using the classic dimple-and-sand technique to outfit a B&J Press.

It worked!

DaveT
    Nice job, I'm building an 5 1/2" x 14" pinhole camera out of 1/4" bamboo plywood, may see a very similar shutter on it, that is if you don't mind. Remember World Wide Pinhole Day is April 26th. http://www.pinholeday.org/

Thanks,
    Roger Thoms

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    ... may see a very similar shutter on it, that is if you don't mind. Remember World Wide Pinhole Day is April 26th. http://www.pinholeday.org/
    No problem -- something about an object with a design obvious to practitioners of an art can't be patented.

Yes, I'm slowly getting myself organized toward the 26th.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    If you really get hooked you might check here: http://www.pinholeresource.com/shop/...category_id=14

<{B^) Bill Barber
    Ohhh that turret is nice.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, pinholes: a thread like this could go on forever. Just a couple things:

* $25 for a pinhole?!?!?!? That's ridiculous. Unless you're hopelessly incompetent, make one yourself.

* Aluminum foil is for schoolkids making a camera out of an oatmeal box. The other person who used a piece of a soda can was closer to the right stuff. Better yet, get yourself some thin brass shim material (available in the U.S. at most places that stock K&S metals, like hardware stores); 0.003 works well.

* Without getting too much into the nitty-gritty of it, contrary to what someone said here, it's actually pretty easy to get a pinhole of a known size. I use a microscope (I have a kid's cheapie one). The trick is to use a gauge to measure the hole size with. I use a few pieces of music wire (guitar strings) of known sizes: 0.009", 0.010", etc. All you need to do is view the hole and the gauge together to get a fairly accurate measurement; from that you can compute the aperture (f-stop) of the pinhole. (To make the pinhole, I use a sewing needle and a piece of hardwood under the metal.)
    I'm mostly interested in the equipment in and of itself. Pictures are just a side effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl View Post
    Ah, pinholes: a thread like this could go on forever. Just a couple things:

* $25 for a pinhole?!?!?!? That's ridiculous. Unless you're hopelessly incompetent, make one yourself.
    In all fairness, the $25 doesn't get you a pinhole but rather a machined adapter to affix to your lens board. It is very slick for the money and worth it IMO.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other person who used a piece of a soda can was closer to the right stuff. Better yet, get yourself some thin brass shim material (available in the U.S. at most places that stock K&S metals, like hardware stores); 0.003 works well.

* Without getting too much into the nitty-gritty of it, contrary to what someone said here, it's actually pretty easy to get a pinhole of a known size. I use a microscope (I have a kid's cheapie one). The trick is to use a gauge to measure the hole size with. I use a few pieces of music wire (guitar strings) of known sizes: 0.009", 0.010", etc. All you need to do is view the hole and the gauge together to get a fairly accurate measurement; from that you can compute the aperture (f-stop) of the pinhole. (To make the pinhole, I use a sewing needle and a piece of hardwood under the metal.)

The soda can sidewall I used was .004 inch thick (one sometimes wonders how they hold the soda in), but for my SQ-Hole body cap adapter, I used 2 mil brass shim stock from indeed, a K&S selection.

From days of mucking about with circuit boards and the like, I have a direct reading microscope that has a scale. The only problem is it's hand held with an angled reflector fitting on the end and a bit tedious to use. I'm pretty convinced my measurements are within .0005, which is close enough.

DaveT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I'm pretty convinced my measurements are within .0005, which is close enough.

DaveT

OMG! (LOL) that's funny!

I used a micrometer to measure the diameter of the pin that made the pinhole in the aluminum foil...exposure is strictly guesstimate...'looks like ten seconds oughtta do".

* Aluminum foil is for schoolkids making a camera out of an oatmeal box.
    ...and for people who just wanna have fun and make interesting photos on the cheap. I guess I never have grown up....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brad-1.jpg   HArleyCrowdPleas-1.jpg  
    Last edited by BradS; 04-22-2009 at 09:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin