Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,129   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will the Fujinon A f9.0 cover 8X10 adequately for you? If so it is extremely sharp and much lighter and less expensive than Symmar etc? Also, I think the coating from different manufacturers gives a very slightly different color cast. I have always understood it was good to stay with one brand if matching color from one photograph to the next is a requirement. This is being pretty picky but for some uses could be a problem.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    Will the Fujinon A f9.0 cover 8X10 adequately for you? If so it is extremely sharp and much lighter and less expensive than Symmar etc? Also, I think the coating from different manufacturers gives a very slightly different color cast. I have always understood it was good to stay with one brand if matching color from one photograph to the next is a requirement. This is being pretty picky but for some uses could be a problem.
    The 240mm f9 Fujinon A is a great lens that I recommend for 4x5 or 5x7 use, but I don't think the coverage is sufficient for general purpose 8x10 use.

My experience with the Fujinon A series is that they are sharp up to their 70 degree rated coverage, but go soft REALLY fast after that. Their circles of illumination exceed the rated 70 degrees by quite a bit (the 180mm comes real close to illuminating an 8x10 negative all the way to the corners), but unlike some other lenses of similar design (G Claron, Germinar-W), they go real soft real fast beyond the rated image circle.

For this reason, I do not recommend the 240mm f9 Fujinon A for 8x10 use. If weight is a concern, the 240mm f9 Germinar-W is a much better choice. If weight isn't a concern, as previously mentioned, the 240mm APO Sironar-S would be my first choice, but any of the multicoated 240mm f5.6 plasmats made in the last 30 years would be better than the 240mm Fujinon A.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use the Fuji 240 A F9 for my 8x10 and coverage is tight. With a little rise I'm out of coverage real quick. It is a great lens though. Light and very sharp. I took this image in Yosemite with the lens stopped down to f-90. This upload is kind of small but you should see the print! This is a carbon transfer print.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fitzgerald_oak_yosemite_200.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Size and weight might be important to you. Both 240mm Sironars are in Copal 3 shutters. The Sironar-N is alleged to weigh 780 grams and uses 77mm filters, while the Sironar-S is 980 grams and takes 86mm filters. The S is still available new, the N is not.

Both the Fujinon and Germinar-W fit Copal 1 shutters. The 250mm f/6.7 Fujinon (don't confuse it with the newer f/6.3, which has less coverage) weighs 617 grams and takes 67mm filters. The 240/9 Germinar-W weighs 380 grams and takes 49mm filters.

The weights of the Sironars are taken from Rodenstock specs I found here:

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/lar...en.html#table1

The weights of the Fujinon and Germinar are actuals I've measured.
    Last edited by Steve Goldstein; 04-20-2009 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected weight of 250 Fujinon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it. Weight isn't a huge factor, but it is definitely something that I'm considering. I'm impressed with how light that Germinar is, its definitely something that I'm going to have to think about.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the 240 Apo-Sironar-S. I bought it after testing the 240 Apo-Sironar-N. Optically the N is a fine lens, but what I learned from trying it is that when I'm using a wide lens on a squarish format like 8x10, I really do need that extra room for movement, especially front rise.

I have the 240 Germinar-W as well, but I use it as a compact normal for whole plate.

Yes, the the 240 S is a big and heavy lens. But if 240 is going to be your workhorse, you just need to decide what will be more frustrating for you, lugging the extra bulk and weight, or - depending on your shooting style - continually running out of coverage. That will tell you which way to go.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many lenses have come and gone from my lens cabinet in this range. Two standouts from the very excellent crowd are the 240mm Germinar W and the 270mm f9 Computar. These for me at least stand head and shoulders above the rest.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too use the 240 Apo-Sironar S on the 8x10 format. It may be a big lens but its a super performer and offers plenty of movement in this format which I find essential as I use a lot of front rise, fall and tilt (my camera doesn't have back movements).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for the 240 Germinar. IF you can find one... I know I wouldn't part with mine for much less than a new car. It covers my 5x12 (which has a slightly longer diagonal than 8x10) and anything else smaller than that that I use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

240mm lens

I haven't seen any votes for the 240mm f9 G-Claron? Mine is great!
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin