Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,648   Online: 682

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

First 4x5 lessons learned

Okay,

Had fun over the weekend shot and developed 4 sheets of the Provia 100 that came with the camera.

Lesson 1: Necessity is the mother of invention. The SS Nikor 35mm tanks can be used creatively as a human powered rotary processor. 2 films at a time.

Lesson 2A: A reminder to self, don't try to make Trannies do a negatives job. I set up a shot to take an exposure of my daughter ready for prom against a beautiful blue sky with puffies, put her in open shade, metered with my Seconic 358 and exposed for her face. She came out okay, could have used another 1/2 stop or so but the sky is simply too light.

Lesson 2B: When using Transparency film be prepared to use a strobe, Don't even know if that's possible, or reflectors, or... to control contrast.

Lesson 2C: I need to practice with setting the lens to get the exposure I expect.

Lesson 3:Rushing doesn't work.

Lesson 4:I can crop down to 6x9 to get rid of the distracting trash. I know this is bad practice but for a guy coming from 35mm I'm really amazed just how big the films are. :o
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There will be more lessons learned in the future.

Transparency film is unforgiving.

Keep having fun.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I'm looking forward to those lessons.

I shoot negative film normally, the Provia just happened to come with the camera. This was just a great reminder of why I moved away from Trannies.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That being said, there's nothing like a Velvia 4X5 grinning at you from the light table.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Mark;

Is the 4 by 5 something that you are using now in place of the Nikon F2 without a battery for taking photographs along the line?

" . . . why I moved away from trannies." What did you go to; a slush pump, so your left leg could rest? I have always liked at least a 5 speed, and a 6 speed is wonderful.

It is raining in Latte Land this morning.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Mark;

Is the 4 by 5 something that you are using now in place of the Nikon F2 without a battery for taking photographs along the line?

" . . . why I moved away from trannies." What did you go to; a slush pump, so your left leg could rest? I have always liked at least a 5 speed, and a 6 speed is wonderful.

It is raining in Latte Land this morning.
    Actually I ended up with an FM2, fun camera.

Shifting is highly overrated.

Sunny down here, of course that only happens about 300 days a year here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Here's a lesson you don't need to learn. I'll tell ya. Failure to extinguish subject (cover of Jan issue) may result in smoke damage to downstairs half privy/darkroom and cover of EW's Daybooks. Well, the laminate melted a bit and Pepper number 32 is now displayed on the cover in Sepia.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 04-22-2009 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Here's a lesson you don't need to learn. I'll tell ya. Failure to extinguish subject (cover of Jan issue) may result in smoke damage to downstairs half privy/darkroom and cover of EW's Daybooks. Well, the laminate melted a bit and Pepper number 32 is now displayed on the cover in Sepia.
    I will happily learn lessons like these from others.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Glad to be of service. :P
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Shifting is highly overrated.
    Driving a car with an automatic transmission is sort of like using a camera locked on program mode.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin