Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,429   Online: 946

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

First 4x5 lessons learned

Okay,

Had fun over the weekend shot and developed 4 sheets of the Provia 100 that came with the camera.

Lesson 1: Necessity is the mother of invention. The SS Nikor 35mm tanks can be used creatively as a human powered rotary processor. 2 films at a time.

Lesson 2A: A reminder to self, don't try to make Trannies do a negatives job. I set up a shot to take an exposure of my daughter ready for prom against a beautiful blue sky with puffies, put her in open shade, metered with my Seconic 358 and exposed for her face. She came out okay, could have used another 1/2 stop or so but the sky is simply too light.

Lesson 2B: When using Transparency film be prepared to use a strobe, Don't even know if that's possible, or reflectors, or... to control contrast.

Lesson 2C: I need to practice with setting the lens to get the exposure I expect.

Lesson 3:Rushing doesn't work.

Lesson 4:I can crop down to 6x9 to get rid of the distracting trash. I know this is bad practice but for a guy coming from 35mm I'm really amazed just how big the films are. :o
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There will be more lessons learned in the future.

Transparency film is unforgiving.

Keep having fun.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I'm looking forward to those lessons.

I shoot negative film normally, the Provia just happened to come with the camera. This was just a great reminder of why I moved away from Trannies.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

That being said, there's nothing like a Velvia 4X5 grinning at you from the light table.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Mark;

Is the 4 by 5 something that you are using now in place of the Nikon F2 without a battery for taking photographs along the line?

" . . . why I moved away from trannies." What did you go to; a slush pump, so your left leg could rest? I have always liked at least a 5 speed, and a 6 speed is wonderful.

It is raining in Latte Land this morning.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning, Mark;

Is the 4 by 5 something that you are using now in place of the Nikon F2 without a battery for taking photographs along the line?

" . . . why I moved away from trannies." What did you go to; a slush pump, so your left leg could rest? I have always liked at least a 5 speed, and a 6 speed is wonderful.

It is raining in Latte Land this morning.
    Actually I ended up with an FM2, fun camera.

Shifting is highly overrated.

Sunny down here, of course that only happens about 300 days a year here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Here's a lesson you don't need to learn. I'll tell ya. Failure to extinguish subject (cover of Jan issue) may result in smoke damage to downstairs half privy/darkroom and cover of EW's Daybooks. Well, the laminate melted a bit and Pepper number 32 is now displayed on the cover in Sepia.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 04-22-2009 at 09:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Here's a lesson you don't need to learn. I'll tell ya. Failure to extinguish subject (cover of Jan issue) may result in smoke damage to downstairs half privy/darkroom and cover of EW's Daybooks. Well, the laminate melted a bit and Pepper number 32 is now displayed on the cover in Sepia.
    I will happily learn lessons like these from others.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Glad to be of service. :P
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Shifting is highly overrated.
    Driving a car with an automatic transmission is sort of like using a camera locked on program mode.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin