Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,589   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johns View Post
    The river is the Whanganui River (New Zealand). I didn't think the 210mm would be suitable...but I will see what it looks like. The 135mm is a NIKOR. Thanks for your feed back.
    The trip is a jet boat ride to the site..camp over and explore the surrounding area.

explorehttp://www.whanganuijet.co.nz/whanganui-jet/index.php
    Take both lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been told that the 300mm lens would be a good standard lens to use on an 8 x 10 format for studio photographs = portraits and full figure.

I have also been told to use a 450mm lens in preference to the 300mm.

I would like to hear what some of you experts use in the studio.

If I could also use the lens in a outdoor setting (landscapes) that would be an extra bonus.

I intend to try a 210mm lens that I already have.

Answers always appreciated.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to flickr.com and serach "8x10 450mm" and "8x10 300mm". Or go into some of the LF/8x10 groups and search the focal lengths. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand posts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So Paul, How did that trip pan out? Did you find a 135 that the P would handle and how did it work?

My normal lens on my 8x10 is a 300 Ektar Commercial. Stunning.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! Talk about a pain in the rear for shooting out and about in nature. I'd do yourself a favor for future outings. F's are cheap. Pick up an F-2 rear standard and a multipurpose standard for the front so you can leave the big P standards at home on this sort of trip, and end up with a lightweight and compact F-1. Doing this makes the camera about 6 lbs. sans lens and board – about as much as a Technika. The usefulness of most of the P's benefits (i.e. precision and solidity) is all but lost out in nature anyhow, and they do nothing but add weight (and quite a bit of it).

How did it turn out in the end? What lens did you use?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 300 Ektar Commercial is what i will start looking for. Appreciate your help. It will be mainly for studio setups...but I trust it will be fine for outdoors also.
    I used the H'blad in the end for the river trip...but used the Sinar for some interior shots at the River community called Jerusalem.
    Are your photographs 8 x 10 's? I could only see them as thumbnails as I am not subscribed yet.
    I especially liked the flags.
    Ok Tim..thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I know what you mean by the Sinar being weighty. I used the convenient Hasselblad in the end.
    Its 8 x 10 lenses that interest me now. I like the time and concentration the Sinar P requires to set up.
    The lens I am after is for a studio set up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    My normal lens on my 8x10 is a 300 Ektar Commercial. Stunning.
    My portrait lens on my 4x5 is a 12 inch (300) Commercial Ektar.
    STUNNING!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is great to know. Would the 14" Commercial Ektar be just as effective for portraits on the 4 x 5 ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    hello Brian. Do you have any examples on line of your portraits taken with the Ektar on your 4 x 5" ?
    pauljohns@slingshot.co.nz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin