Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,432   Online: 846

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

135 mm lens. 4 x 5 format

Hello. I am doing a river trip very soon and I would like some advice as to what would be a good lens to use with my Sinar P 4 x 5 camera. I have 135 mm and 210mm lenses.
    Do you think the 135mm lens would be a good lens to use?
    I don't want the images to look too wide angle.....I want more of a std. lens look.

I am told that the 135mm lens would be good to use...however, I would like a second opinion.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's really, really hard for someone to recommend a lens to someone else -- we have no idea what you like. We can do a bang-up job at recommending the lens we'd use, but that may be completely meaningless to you.

The obvious question, though, is that if you have two lenses, why don't you take them both? There's a reason why lenses can be changed -- and why most of us have more than one of them!

That said -- sure, the 135mm would be a good lens to use! So would the 210mm. Good luck on your trip!

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For decades the 135 mm lens has been used as a standard lens on 4x5. Don't think you'll have a problem with it. A 150 mm is closer to the mathematically correct standard lens. For portraiture, the 210 mm has been the standard for 'normal.'
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Walter...that is good to know.
    Yes I purchased the 210 lens for portraits; I find the 135 mm lens can be used in the studio also.

The pics featured here are mainly medium format (Hasselblad and Pentax 6 x 7)
    I have only just recently started using 4 x 5 lrge. format.
    I would like to use 8 x 10 when I grow up.

http://photographspauljohns.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A sinar-P for a river trip? That's going the extra mile for sure. If you were to take only one lens the 210 is the optimum. Although some may prefer wider, the 135 is wide but wont reduce the horizon a useless line.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You don't say what river but...Have you ever been on a major river before? In the spring? I would leave the Sinar at home and buy a beat to s#!+ Speed/Crown Graphic w/ 127 or 135 lens. Or check your insurance policy and all the small print.

My last time on the Colorado I found the Nikonos to be perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would depend on the 135 lens. If it's a Tessar clone, be very careful with the edges and corners. I am sure your P can easily overdrive the coverage of that type lens. If it's a "w" or"ws" type lens, I am sure it will be fine.

I am not sure I would take my Sinar on a river (if I had a Sinar or a river) but don't let us stop you. A 4x5 Crown would be more my taste. And it would be with the 135mm in this case.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The river is the Whanganui River (New Zealand). I didn't think the 210mm would be suitable...but I will see what it looks like. The 135mm is a NIKOR. Thanks for your feed back.
    The trip is a jet boat ride to the site..camp over and explore the surrounding area.

explorehttp://www.whanganuijet.co.nz/whanganui-jet/index.php

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have in my kit 65, 75, 125, 150, 210, 300.

I could see my 210 and 300 as very useful to capture details on the river. My 125 and your 135 are useful for moderate wide angles. FYI, Your Nikkor is a plasmat derivative. I'm not sure what the river is like (ie deep canyon, open country, glacial U-valley). In a very deep canyon, a 65-75mm might be more useful if you want to capture the entire canyon. But based on the photos I see on their site I think the 135 and 210 will compliment each other well.

A Sinar P is definitely not the easiest camera to haul around though. If you can get a field camera (eg Tachihara, Shen Hao, Ebony, etc...) for that trip instead, it will be much easier to carry due to the form factor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thx. mrladewig.
    I didn't think the 210 could be used in this situation (I didn't think beyond its use as a portrait lens in the studio). I will take my H'blad with me too...I have
    the std. 80mm lens.
    You can see one river shot taken with the 80mm on my blog site : http://photographspauljohns.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin