Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,784   Online: 883

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Chamonix 45n bellows not infrared proof?

I've got the standard bellows on my 45N. I recently started shooting efke infrared with this camera and the sheets mostly had zero detail as if they were very overexposed. I've never had these issues when using my other cameras. So today I was testing some expired 4x5 kodak HSI indoors at the window looking out. No direct light on the camera. Same results so I pulled the dark slide for a bit and left the shutter closed. The processed sheet is fogged everywhere except the rebate area.
    Just to be sure, I set up the same shot with the same lens using my 8x10 and a reducing back with the same film holder as before. I exposed and processed the film to find zero fog or funky density issues.

I'm going to try wrapping the bellows with my dark cloth but that's not always feasible in windy conditions.
    I'm guessing HSI is more prone to this issue than efke ir820. Anyone else having this issue?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    And with standard B&W no problems ?
    I would contact Chamonix about it and see what they have to say......
    Never worked with IR before on 4x5" .

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    And with standard B&W no problems ?
    I would contact Chamonix about it and see what they have to say......
    Never worked with IR before on 4x5" .

Peter
    No fogging with any regular B+W or E-6 films. Unfortunately there's no way to contact the manufacturer directly. Their email goes directly to Hugo, an importer. I have contacted him but I doubt they are going to re-design their bellows (if that's the issue) for the few of us shooting these films.
    Last edited by wildbill; 04-28-2009 at 07:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot very limited amounts of efke infrared with my chamonix 45n, rollfilm and sheet and haven't had problems so far. Not sure what the problem might be

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe this is the problem on my Chamonix 8x10, i have a 5x7 back for mine and shot a few sheets Efke IR last summer. Non of the sheets were printable and had lots of fog. I imagine the bellows are made of the same material no matter what format.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This might be an item for the Large format Forum .
    There is an owners group of Chamonix, maybe they have an answer.

Hopefully this helps.....
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had this issue with my other cameras. I just tried another sheet with my dark cloth wrapped around the camera as best I could and it helped but the fog is still pretty bad.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll be very interested in the outcome of this. I'm seriously considering the Chamonix 45N and one of my requirements is shooting with Efke IR820. Google found a photographer on Flickr with several Efke IR images made with a Chamonix 45N, such as this one, so at least one person has used this combination successfully:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9785954@N05/2741701515/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archphoto View Post
    This might be an item for the Large format Forum .
    There is an owners group of Chamonix, maybe they have an answer.

Hopefully this helps.....
    Peter
    There are certain moderators here who get angry when a member posts a thread on more than one photo site. Since I pay subscriber fees here, I posted it here first. Thanks though.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vinny, I've used EFKE 820 IR in my Chamonix and the two sheets I used came out fine souped in Rodinal 1:50. I rated the film at ISO-2

I've not done anymore testing than that though and although I was shooting from a shaded and cool location, the subject was in full sun.

Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Island Lake.jpg  
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin