Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,379   Online: 1048

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old Eastman Kodak film holders.

I was at my neighbour's place today, who are even more isolated than we are - they live right off the grid. She showed me a couple of film holders her dad had. He was an avid large format guy. They are old and kind of beat up, but beautiful nonetheless. The dark slide says, "No.3 Eastman Film Sheath 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. Made in U.S.A. by Eastman Kodak Co. Rochester, N.Y. Patented in U.S.A. May 11, 1915".
    Each holder has two dark slides. The two sides are held together by brass clips, and if you undo the clips it folds open. I don't know what the wood is, but parts of it look like oak, possibly some is mahogany.
    Is this what I've seen referred to as a "plate" size? Is there some reason for that size, or did it just seem like a good size at the time?
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Johnny! 6.5"x8.5" is "whole plate" size film. If I remember correctly the various plate sizes (whole, half, quarter etc...) have some relation to the printing industry. Others will be able to shed more light on that. For what it's worth I adore the whole plate size! Nice intimate contact print, but just large enough to look good on a wall. The aspect ratio is lovely as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin