Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 800

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of movements do you need?

If not much, I suggest a Kodak No. 2/2D , or something similar. They are relatively cheap, but well made and not too heavy. They have front vertical shift, and rear tilt of about 15 degrees or so. With those two things combined, you can get the same net effect as a front standard tilt, if you need it. If you do need front tilts it in the field, it is probably an extremely rare case in which you will need more than a few degrees of it, so you are well covered. The restrictions come when you need swings or horizontal shifts. In those cases, you need to put the camera on its side. Luckily they are not heavy, so it can be done, but it is rather hairy the first time, and, of course not as stable. If it is something you think you need to do a lot, I would make an L bracket to do it, not just tilt the tripod head like I do with my No. 2 5x7.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Just to note, the Kodak 2D does have rear swing movement.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Battle ship grey Burke & James, has much more movements then a D'orff and is just a bit on the heavy side and much cheaper!

Cheers Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    Battle ship grey Burke & James, has much more movements then a D'orff and is just a bit on the heavy side and much cheaper!

Cheers Armin
    I have a 8x10 Deardorff and a 5x7 B&J. Anyone want the B&J (with two backs)? Make offer.

It's the difference between.. hell there aren't that many words in the english language to describe the difference.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

There are lots of good 8x10s out there---I happen to be more sympatico with my 'dorff. If I had to replace it, I could think of a few other old timers and a few new cameras that would work just fine, but the 'dorff tweaks my creative buttons in a way no other 8x10 camera does. I simply love working with the old thing.
    If you really want a 'dorff----get a 'dorff. They've not making any more of 'em

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Just to note, the Kodak 2D does have rear swing movement.

Jon
    Hi,

Yes, it does, and so does my No. 2. Unfortunately, without horizontal shift, this rear swing combined with this shift cannot be used to "fake" (get the same net effect as) a front swing.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin