Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,098   Online: 942

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Starting 8x10 view camera

I'm wanting to get back into LF film work. I'm wanting to do 8x10 contact printing.

My heart says get an 8x10 Deardorff but my pocket says, "See what the other options are."

What are my other options in 8x10?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are you going to do with it?

Field Ansco/Agfa

Monorails are often fairly cheap but harder to hike with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My studio camera is a Toyo 810G. Great camera but too heavy for the field unless I stay close to the truck. I got it at a very good price from a studio that hadn't used it for years. For the field I use a Toyo 810M. Great camera but a bit on the heavy side. They can be found at better prices than a Dorff because they don't have the name or the look of a nice wood camera. I am very happy with Toyo and lens boards interchange between the 8X10 and 4X5 cameras, parts are still available and accessories like long and bag bellows, reducing backs and lens board adaptors make it a very adaptable and expandable system.

There are a lot of good 8X10 bodies out there just remember the lens does the work, the camera just holds the film and lens together. Put your money into good glass.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They're rare, but not astronomical in price - a Zone VI Ultralight. A hair under 10 lbs, 36" of bellows, and can focus a 90mm to infinity.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    What are you going to do with it?

Field Ansco/Agfa

Monorails are often fairly cheap but harder to hike with.
    Landscapes and building here in wide open Texas. Don't plan to hike with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Landscapes and building here in wide open Texas. Don't plan to hike with it.
    Buildings? Definitely monorail because of the movements. Sinar Norma is good, but a Cambo/Calumet would be cheaper. Linhof is probably the king but very, very, expensive new.

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If your heart says Deardorff, buy one. I wanted a Deardorff for 30 years and I bought one – no second guesses. There is no perfect camera – there are compromises for each model of camera. Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Roberts View Post
    If your heart says Deardorff, buy one. I wanted a Deardorff for 30 years and I bought one – no second guesses. There is no perfect camera – there are compromises for each model of camera. Craig

I vote with Craig. I wanted a Deardorff for a number of years, could never justify it. It is the last 8x10 I will ever put on. When I went under the hood of my V-8, I knew where everything was. Instinctively. It is just made perfect like that.

Others I looked at? Horseman. Nice rugged camera, just not right for me.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    I reckon you gravitate to Deardorff like you do to Leica. You may not be happy with anything else.

On the other hand, what I said at the LFPF still holds. Think of Richard's camera as a Deardorff for the 21st century.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you never plan to enlarge your 8X10s, get a good/decent camera with front tilt & swing, and rear tilt; and spend your money on a good lens or two, high quality film (Ilford FP4 & Kodak T-Max 400 are my favorite), and quality contact printing paper (Lodima). Ansel Adams said of Ed Weston's negs that they were not good for enlarging, but for contact printing.... Weston worked with a Korona, I believe; and he produced stunning prints. Equipment envy can keep you from just getting out there and taking those stunning images that are available to you now.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin