Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,709   Online: 908

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Large Format Photographers in So. Cal?

Hi all,

This is Dr. Jed's wife. He was kind enough to let me post under his username.

In all our travels and different cameras (from Minolta XD-11 to Mamiya RZ67 to *gasp* digital SLR), large format photography has always been a distant fascination for me. Distant, because we were in Alaska and didn't know a single person that owned one, and the cost of renting one from the lower 48 was a bit steep.

Growing up in Homer, Alaska a person either takes up painting or photography (I did both). Photography, because I just couldn't get the right amount of detail in watercolor. Although, getting the right tonal ranges and highlight and shadow detail is another matter completely!

I was eventually able to get a MF. Let me tell you, there's nothing like shooting a wedding in the middle of a city with an all manual MF in windy freezing weather with a bride in a strapless gown... Honestly, that was the most fun because I spent more time, shot less film, and wow, the results were amazing!

My photographic life has taken me from studio and location portraiture to wedding and events and back again. My goal is to capture the pure personality of a person, like when you take a candid photo of them unawares, except with the absolute best.

So, what I'm wanting to know is if any of you in the area of Ventura, CA would be willing to let me come over to your studio and see how you use a LF camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talk to Per Volquartz who posts here. He lives in Pasadena.

This is his url => http://www.pervolquartz.com/

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim Fitzgerald (on APUG) lives in Ventura and has an 8x10, 11x14 and an 8x20. A great guy who is generous with his time.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Yes, I do live in Ventura and can certainly show you the ropes in Large format and ULF for that matter. I have a nice 4x5 that I have not used for a while also that I can break out. You would have to give me some time to clear a path in my apartment,studio, workshop, darkroom, etc.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin