Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,845   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Harrogate, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Shooter
    Large Format

75mm lens on a monorail

Hello everyone. I'm new on here so go gently with me.

Greetings from grey and drab North Yorkshire.

1st silly question....I have a Toyo 5x4 monorail, I am presently lusting after changing it to a 45AX field camera. I am looking for a 90mm lens however I have come across a 75mm lens in good nick at a good price. Is this lens going to be too short for conventional bellows with a recessed panel?

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Smales; 05-06-2009 at 05:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to APUG, Steve.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a 65 on a recessed board with no problems at all.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Steve and welcome to APUG. 75mm on a 5x4 may be a tad wide for a newbie to that format. Just my $0.02 worth.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Harrogate, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Shooter
    Large Format
    When using a borrowed 90mm, the bellows are pretty closed up when focused at infinity. Are you on standard bellows?
    I don't need massive movements but I want to be able to get a bit of rise/fall.....

Also whatever I end up with, will any future change from the monorail to the field camera make a difference to compatibility?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,

This is now your third post! Either start a new thread or change the name of this one!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any LF lens can fit on any LF camera. You just have to change lensboards.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to use it at or near infinity with movements, I'd consider getting a wide-angle bellows to use with it, as well as a recessed board. 75mm is approx. 3 in. That means even at 1:1, your bellows draw is theoretically only 6 in. without a recessed board. Even there, the WA bellows will help, IMO, unless you want very little movement. The recessed board will help a bit more.

FWIW, a wide-angle bellows is my standard bellows unless I am using long lenses (my 360mm), so you could probably just leave the bag bellows in place for most things.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi steve

you can use the flat board with your toyo and the regular bellows for 90mm and up.
    toyo suggests you use the bag/balloon/wide angle bellows for shorter lenses.
    i have a 65mm i use with my toyo rail camera, together with a DEEPLY recessed lens board and the bag bellows.
    the only way you are going to see if a flat board and your regular bellows will work is
    to measure from the back of your lens to your ground glass with your front and rear standards together
    and your bellows fully compressed if it is 75mm you are golden, if it isn't, get a recessed lensboard, and an angle adapter
    for your shutter release, it will be helpful ..
    regular pleated bellows - even the high tech toyo ones - will resist your front+rear standards being view-camera-ized
    (rise,fall,tilt,swing &C ) the bag will offer little no resistance

have fun with your lens! i use my 65 all the time.

john

ps. welcome to apug!
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    At the school where I teach, we use Toyo CX cameras. With a 75mm, a recessed board and a bag bellows are absolutely necessary. It also helps to slide everything forward on the monorail to keep the rail itself from appearing in the image. The short rail would be a good tool if you can swing it. I imagine all this would apply to the other 4x5 models as well.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin