Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,155   Online: 835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

8x10 film holder for other than 8x10...

Hi LF gang, I need some help with something. I want to use 35mm film, sprocket holes and all in a 8x10 view camera.

The way it would work in an ideal world is that 6 rolls of 35mm film would run in a row into the special back to fill the 8x10 area. The film would dispense at the same time into the holder. I would like to keep it flat and close together so I think that the holder would be quite an engineering feat if it can be done.

I suppose a good thing would to advance the film and then flip a switch that would flatten it all with some mechanism with either glass or something else.

I am really trying to avoid cutting and splicing the film so hence the film loader / holder that shoots 6 rolls of film at the same time.

So think of this as a 8x10 roll film back that uses 6 rolls of 35mm film in a row...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about something adapted from an 8x10 Aerial Camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    you could try adapting a clear plastic 'proofing' frame to the 8x10 holder, would give you the guide rails.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I thought about making an insert for 35mm and for 120/220 films. I just haven't made it yet but the idea was to use a sheet of delrin. I also thought about using a film holder for a scanner to hold the film flat but that was too thick.

Another thought I had is simply to cut an 8x10 piece of transparency stock and tape the roll film to that. You could tape some film down directly into the holder, but beware that this often leaves a gummy residue for the tape on the backside of your holder.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about trying a removable double coated adhesive film on an 8 x 10 film holder? Would be really fun in the dark. A modified proofing frame would work but the holes and edges would be obscured. Another thought would be to make a mask of your desired setup and contact print it right on to the 8 x 10 negative before developing.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, so far, I think I am going to buy a 8 x 10 film holder and modify it. I am really trying to keep it in roll form for processing reasons...it's the one film in the world you can not soup your self..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Richard (and PKM), the rollfilm is *very* curly, it takes quite some force to hold it flat- I am guessing that adhesive film won't do it. I tried various rather strong tapes etc. and nothing could hold the film firmly enough.... without also leaving gummy residue behind. What I suppose one might do is cut the film into strips and press it for some time to try to relieve some of the curl. But really, I tried stapling film fragments onto transparency stock and that works fine. Holds the film quite flat, really.

About contact printing to 8x10, this would be a good way to get the rollfilm sprocket effect, but then again, the only reason I was thinking about this was because the particular rollfilms that interested me are/were not available in LF... HIE, scala, digibase etc. PKM's motives may be different, of course.

Another thought would be to get a thin sheet of glass and shove the film underneath that.

Definitely explore this further and let us know how it works out!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    PKM's motives may be different, of course.

Another thought would be to get a thin sheet of glass and shove the film underneath that.
    Glass is the ticket I think....and to be entirely cryptic / anti-google magnet about my intentions, Theydon'tmakeKodachromein8x10sheets, so we do what we have to..

The easy way: Photo shop!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photoshop is the easy way to get pictures that look like they were shot on 35mm film in a 8x10 holder but that is the problem. P'shop only delivers pictures. Which is fine if all you want is pictures.

If you want photographs then Photoshop is no use at all. There is no alternative to exposing sensitive materials to light.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin