Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,556   Posts: 1,599,314   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    This company had an interesting history, with various owners and names. I think it was started by a man named I have two or three of their lenses.
    You can see why he didn't just name the company after himself, with a name like that. :-)

(OK, that was a cheap shot, but it was fun to say.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheap shot but warranted. First day with the new brain and I can't do a thing with it.

This is what happens when I stop a post in the middle while trying to look up info in files on my computer. The man's name escapes me yet, but the lenses were sold under his name, then Scientific Lens Co. and later Koehler Optical Co., all in NYC.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd be interested in determining the focal length of mine and what size camera it would have covered or been intended for. Unfortunately I don't have a large format camera to mount it to at this time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found it! The ma is U. Nehring, and the attached is from the Magazine Camera Craft, from 1910:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	books (473×437) copy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	93099

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and more. This is from a post on a Yahoo group for lovers of wood and brass cameras. The author is Milan Zahorcak:

The story starts with Ulrich Nehring, the maker of many lens accessories in the 1890s and early 1900s, and involves the Scientific Lens Company (New York) which no one knows much about. Apparently, around 1900 Nehring buys out Scientific, keeps the name, sells off the remaining stock, and spins off U.S. Optical. However, there is some sort sort lawsuit against US Optical – I don’t know what or why, but US Optical loses the appeal – and then US Optical and maybe U. Nehring both disappear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a set of U. Nehring lens cells in a small padded box. These have no barrel and no shutter but about ten years ago I found a shutter they screwed directly into. Unfortunately, I can't remember what shutter. Come to think of it, I don't know where the lens cells are either. Anyone know anything about these?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I have a set of U. Nehring lens cells in a small padded box. These have no barrel and no shutter but about ten years ago I found a shutter they screwed directly into. Unfortunately, I can't remember what shutter. Come to think of it, I don't know where the lens cells are either. Anyone know anything about these?
    Are we allowed to guess, or do we have to know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Are we allowed to guess, or do we have to know?
    Sorry... I'll try to find them and post a pick.

Found it... no markings on the outside of the box nor on the cells.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8689.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	379.5 KB 
ID:	93120 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8690.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	579.4 KB 
ID:	93121
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 08-18-2014 at 07:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin