Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,980   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

The scientific lens co.

Hello All,
    I purchased this wonderful little lens today and would like to learn more about it.
    On the brass rim it says-
    The Scientific Lens Co.
    Extr W.A. Anastigmat No.5
    With front and rear glass in place it measures about a 8-9 inch focal length and with either the rear or front element removed it has an amazing 22 inch focal length.
    How can I tell what size film the lens will cover?
    I assume that if it is an extra W.A. lens and the focal length is 8-9 inches it is made for at least an 8x10 camera?
    Any info would be a great help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There seem to be no end to the variety of brands these little wide-angle lenses appear under. I have 2, different brands, essentially the same thing. This should be an extreme-wide-angle for 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Phototone,
    Can you give me an idea of what the lens should cost?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Phototone,
    Can you give me an idea of what the lens should cost?
    Thanks
    Haven't a clue. Really a special purpose lens, and not very adaptable to a shutter, except a packard.

I can't even remember what I paid for my copies about 30 years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I posted here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=49023 looks like the 10*12 inch model.

Value is fairly low if it has no flange, perhaps $ 75... circa 1905

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My "The Scientific Lens Co. , New York extreme w.a. anastigmat" is marked for 11x14 and has a focal length of about 10 inches. Your lens will probably cover 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all for the info. This is why I love APUG.
    Arthur

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi everyone,
    I recently acquired a No. 2 Portrait Lens made by the Scientific Lens Co. of New York. It's a brass lens with an internal bladed aperture. There's a slot on the side where you can place a small object (pin) to rotate the aperture to stop down. It doesn't appear that is ever had a rotating aperture ring over this slot. There is a readout along the slot for the aperture. Does anyone have any knowledge of this lens and what type it would have been (Anastigmat, Petzval, etc.)? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scientific lenses copy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	93026
    This company had an interesting history, with various owners and names. I think it was started by a man named I have two or three of their lenses. The Extreme Wide Angle I have is quite small and covers 8x10 with no problem. I measured its FL as about 120mm.

From the Vade Mecum:

Scientific Lens Co., 24, E 21 St, New York, USA.
    For an account, see B.J.A. 1905, as the lenses change focus during exposure to give increased depth of field. This was patented as Patent 02/02/1904; 12/04/1904; 31/05/1904; 18/10/1904. (?USPats.) This has been a recurring theme and see Dieterich for a later application.
    Ocular f5.0 This lens can be used with and without focus change.
    Stigmar f6.2 A high grade anastigmat of 4+4 symmetric layout. This was made in 7.25, 12, 17in.
    Retinar f7.7 This was an RR for use with and without focus change.
    Cosmos Wide angle This was noted as an 6in lens, with rotating aperture plate ('wheel stops') but there is no further data. (A conjecture is WAR.)

The Extreme Wide Angle is not mentioned here, butI have seen more of them around than any other of the lenses.

Here is another bit about their lenses.
    Last edited by Whiteymorange; 08-18-2014 at 06:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: redo link

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Imhave an SLC "artistic" which has no iris or Waterhouse slot. It's very soft and nibody has really been able to pin down the story on it..Some thought an enlarging lens but it's so soft I can't buy that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin