Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,975   Online: 896

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sizes, lensboards and so on...

As I'm in the process of drawing the camera I'm planning to build, I have come up with a serious question.

The only lens I've got (which is so far wonderful, I have know idea about performance or sharpness, but it has this hi-quality feeling and weight) is mounted on a 4"x4", not 100 mm but 4" squared. So, makes you wonder, what other lensboards are there? I know that there are a few different standard sizes, right? So far I think there is one that 4x4 (obviously) and one 140mmx140mm, anymore? If somebody could be so kind and tell me how many and which there are that would soothe my anxieties about building something that will prove quite meaningless. I'm still looking for a wide angle lens, so depending on which kind of lensboard that one will be mounted on and which size is the most common, I might have to change the drawing.

Yeah, btw, googling and searching this forum just provides a lot of information on the sizes of the HOLES in the lensboards, not the lensboards themselves. On a separate note, is it just me or has google gone down hill the last 4 years or so?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

There are lensboards or those that can be made for a wide variety of sizes from 4x4 on up. For 4x5 a 4x4 board size should be sufficient I would think and should accomodate a standard bellows for that size lensboard (don't know the type) and a typical 4x5 groundglass assembly.

As to google, there was a thread posted earlier in the lounge with some useful information.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tend to mount most of my lenses on the smallest lensboard I can, and then make adaptors to all my larger-lensboard cameras. This way I can use the widest variety of lenses with the widest variety of cameras. Of course special lenses, such as early Pezvals and Soft-focus lenses have to be mounted on large boards to start with.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have almost all my lenses mounted on Technika boards and have an adapter plate for the Sinar P2.
    Makes for smaller storage space and I can use all those lenses on my "new" Shen Hoa.

The only lens that is on a Sinar plate is a biggish 210W: the rear element will not go through the opening of the standard.....

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few not listed yet:
    Deardorff 6x6"
    Horseman 8x8cm
    Linhof, Wista 3 3/4" x 3 7/8
    11x14 B&J uses a 9"x9"
    toyo 158mmx158mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input. I will now put my thinking hat on.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Toyo field cameras use a 110mm board. An adaptor is also available to use the 110mm boards on the 158mm rail cameras.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    BTW Who uses the 4 inch boards. I have a 158mm Toyo to 4 inch adaptor and I don't know who uses a 4 inch board.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    BTW Who uses the 4 inch boards. I have a 158mm Toyo to 4 inch adaptor and I don't know who uses a 4 inch board.

Micro Precision Products used as near as damit 4" on the S92 and MicroTechnical cameras - Dimensions can be found here

Google also indicates someone called Graflex Corporation also used a 4" square for a Speed Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages View Post
    My Wisner 4x5 uses 4" boards.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin