Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Upgrading my 8x10

I have an Agfa Ansco 8x10 that has served me well, but I need a little more bellows draw and I would like a camera that folds up just a little more. The Ansco is relatively light and it does fit in my backpack, but just barely.

I cannot afford the camera I want (Canham JMC810) so I am looking for something that is in between. I am looking at a number of possibilities in the used market and I definitely want a field camera. I have a 4x5 Wisner Techinical Field which I really like and would love to get the 8x10 version (although I would get the Traditional because it is lighter). I am also thinking about a Kodak Master 8x10, the all metal one. It is a little heavier but seems versatile and sturdy.

One of the problems of course is that there are surprisingly few quality used 8x10s out there for sale these days. I have not been able to find a Wisner. I have a tentative seller for a Kodak Master 8x10.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for cameras or for places where I might look?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't checked the price, but have you looked at the Chamonix 8x10"?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you don't have the money for new it is matter of waiting (and waiting), and by then you might aswell start saving for a new one.

Lotus is not very cheap, maybe Shen Hao, look at the advertizers here and see what they have new or used.
    Maybe you are lucky one of these day's.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get a very usable Deardorff for about $1200. I found a V8 to be the best low cost 8x10 field camera, as long as you choose your camera carefully. If you want something new under $2K, the Shen Hao would be my choice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm very happy with the triple extension Tachihara that I got from Badger Graphic. I did have to wait about four or five months from the time I requested it as they are only doing special order now.
    Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The oft quoted solution is to ask Jim at: Midwest Photo Exchange, Jim Andracki; Large Format Department; Work (614) 261-1264 Fax (614) 261-1637; 3313 N. High St. Columbus, OH 43202 jim@mpex.com. He has helped many of us all over the world with new and used.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Take a look at a Wehman. Bruce builts great light weight cameras, that are very sturdy & well built. They are not the prettiest cameras to look at but its very very functional. I love mine.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    The oft quoted solution is to ask Jim at: Midwest Photo Exchange, Jim Andracki; Large Format Department; Work (614) 261-1264 Fax (614) 261-1637; 3313 N. High St. Columbus, OH 43202 jim@mpex.com. He has helped many of us all over the world with new and used.

John Powers
    I got my double extension Tachihara from them and love it. Not sure how much bellows draw you have now, but I've never run into any shortage, even with only the double extension. Of course, my longest lens is only a 15", and I've never shot macros with it. If I remember rightly, it was around $1400 and well worth it.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just missed a Kodak Master View, dang it all, and a Shen 8x10 with 3 backs that sold on ebay for under $1300. Oh well. And just for the record, a new Chamonix is about 3K, a new Wehman (which looks interesting) is $2200.

I would like to stay under 2K if at all possible which means, I guess, that the Tachihara is a front runner if I have to get a new camera, although I would prefer a higher end used camera (yah, I know, good luck with that). The Tachihara seems to have been made by different people at different times. What is the current quality like? What about Zone VI cameras?

An average Deardorff (not a mint collectible) seems to be relatively affordable. What is the bellows draw on the 8x10 and how much do they weigh? Is there a good source of information on Deardorffs from a photographer's perspective? There are some sites out there but they are most for collectors, not photographers.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 26" and 12-14lb I think. Would recommend not getting an NFS (No Front Swing) as it just makes life easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin