Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,935   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

$$ to fix shutter, howmuch?

I've been quoted $200 to fix the shutter in a 210/370 Schneider convertible lens. Is this worth it? The glass is good - was happy with the long exposure I took, but it would be nice to have working shutter speeds.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Depends what is wrong with the shutter and if it needs parts.
    Just for a CLA it would be too much.

What make and type is it ? Compur 3 ?

Have to see the shutter.

Peter

Addition: the lens desevers it though.
    Last edited by archphoto; 05-20-2009 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Who was the quote from Lillian? My Ilex #3 was worked over very nicely by Carol Flutot at a cost of $82 USD, plus shipping there and back. It definitely worked out less than $200 CDN!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Contact Carol Miller at http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ONLY $200? If you drive a Lamborghini it's pocket change.
    Carol(mentioned) or Paul Ebel in Wisconsin.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to back up what everyone else said, I paid a very reasonable $70 to Carol Miller for a CLA for a Compur rimset with broken shutter blade.

Dan

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens sat unused for 30+ years. The shutter opens, but closes v e r y slowly, except at shutter speeds over 1/100 - then it is fast, but I doubt it is accurate.

It is at Victoria Camera - an hour and a half away, and no hassles with packing, mailing, customs, duty, exchange rates and the other hassles that come with sending a lens to the US.

Carol Flutot is where? The US I assume. Justin, when you sent a lens to her, how long did it take? What about the border? Were you charged duty? Sometimes it seems like duty charges are at the whim of customs officers.

John - I drive a 16 year old Honda.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post

John - I drive a 16 year old Honda.
    So it's just getting broken in.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup, Carol is in the US. It took a couple of months, but a big part of it was due to the fact that it was around Christmas time and that I had overspent my budget so had to wait a bit 'til I had the money to pay her. When I e-mailed her she said her normal turn-around time is 4-6 weeks but that she can squeak it out in 3 if it's necessary and her schedule permits. Give her a shout for a quote!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While the lens may be in very good condition, it should not be worth much more than the $200 you mentioned. From that point of view, having your shutter CLA'd for the same amount seems a bit odd. That is similar to spending a lot of money for reparing an old car after which you cannot afford to upgrade to a more modern car.
    A more general tip is that you should look around for some other workshop to help you for a more "down to earth" quote. (Carol have very good reputation and is probably your best bet. But back to the idea of a general tip.) As you seem to imply that the lens/shutter only suffers from inactivity for a very long time, it sounds like it just needs a good cleaning to be happy again, something for which $200 seems a bit expensive. (I've been there myself with an old chrome Hasselblad 80mm standard lens. I was quoted $250 for a similar problem and ended up spending that amount of money on a newer black multicoated 80mm lens instead. Later I found another workshop where the quote was at $100 instead, so I had the old lens CLA'd there.)

//Bj÷rn - My Volvo is 18 years old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin