Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,633   Online: 977

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhil
    Ken,

That looks just like mine. You're going to love it.

Phil
    That's a photo I borrowed from Badger Graphics. And I've used one before. I have a G-Claron 305mm, and it's a wonderful lens, but the first time I put the 400mm on my camera, and looked at the glass, it was immediately obvious that I had to get this lens.

What I saw in the scene was what I saw on the glass - no cropping required.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Should have spent the extra bucks and had it FedEx'd. I've never had to pay any GST or anything when I get stuff FedEx'd. And I get it right away and the tracking system is fantastic.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I whole-heartedly agree with you all...MPEX is terrific. Another couple of names who are great to work with are Tom W. who's very encouraging to talk with, and Cassie in shipping who knows where everything is going!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Should have spent the extra bucks and had it FedEx'd. I've never had to pay any GST or anything when I get stuff FedEx'd. And I get it right away and the tracking system is fantastic.
    Boy, I'd sure like to know what you're doing to get stuff GST free via FedEx. I have *never* avoided GST when having items shipped via courier.

But, no worries. The status was updated, and the lens has just cleared Customs. Pr*cks. I sure could have used it today. Ah well, that's what cropping is for :-D
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just thought I'd post an update - the lens arrived today. Purolator just left it sitting on my front step - oops. Not their fault, we've left a sign telling Purolator to just leave packages when nobody is home - I was home, but I was in the darkoom.

Good thing I live in an honest neighborhood :-)

So, chalk up another good review of MPEX. The lens is not only like new, it's brand new. Original box, wrapping, manual, etc. There's not a mark on the lens.

The one interesting thing is the Copal shutter - on my other lenses with Copal shutters, the aperature adjustment is on the top of the lens, with the bottom housing the pointer - on this lens, the adjustment knob is on the bottom with a pointer, and there's a another pointer on top of the lens. When I was playing around with the lens, I kept reaching for the top of lens to drop it down, instead of the botton. Erk!

It also appears that they've went with the same knobs on both shutter and aperature adjustment. That's probably why they moved the aperature adjustment to the bottom, since there wouldn't have been enough space to house them on the same side of the lens.

I'll get used to it.

Waa-hoo! Time to head for the hills!
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Congratulations on your new addition. I will be announcing one from the same source in my next post.

The Copal shutter you have is the older type, I have three lenses in this mount and one is quite recent and the aperture adjustment is a plastic headed lever at the top of the lens. My older is a metal pointed adjuster at the bottom of the lens. I suspect the shutter is early 70's.

- Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, all my lenses are different as well. But, if you look at Badger Graphics web site, the photo they show of a Fujinon 400mm shows the same shutter as the one I have, and they're selling new lenses. In fact, I looked at a bunch of the Fuji lenses, and they *all* seems to use the same shutter. So perhaps the shutter isn't old after all. A new version of the shutter, or perhaps one made just for Fuji? (unlikely, I admit).

Nikon, Rodenstock, and Schneider seem to use the 'other' type of Copal shutter, with a triangular knob on 'top' of the shutter.

Very strange. Ah well, no matter. The lens is practically brand new, so I'm going to assume that it's mounted in a Copal 1.1 shutters :-)

(The picture I posted earlier is exactly what I have, BTW)
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You may be right, my Fuji 240mm f9 is in the same shutter as your Fuji. Mine also looks brand new and came from MidWest

- Mike

I've had mixed reactions to MWP. Lately they have been better. My first Durst enlarger I bought from them and it was damaged in transit. The MWP secretaries keep informing me that I would get a full fefund and keep the enlarger as it wasnt worth it to ship back. This went on for a couple of months until no money was refunded and then they dropped the bombshell... they didn't insure it. and I would have to pack it up and ship it back to them if I expected to get any funds returned....a major pain in the ass as this is one huge enlarger. Well to make a very long story short after a few more weeks of inquiry I finally ended up getting a healthy amount returned in the end but only with a healthy amount of voice thearapy if you know what I mean. They basically came off as liars and unreputable. This was my first transaction with them. A couple of years later I gave them a second chance and bought a Linhof 6x9 tan back supposedly in ex+ cond that was unfortunatly really old and beat looking on arrival and even had some kind of green tape on it to hold the peeling leather covering from falling off. On top of it, it was broken and unfixable as no parts were available anymore from Marflex. To their credit Jim saw fit to do me right and send a much better black 6x9 back but it was internally broken too. Fortunately parts were available for the later black back and I still use this today. My third transaction was a Linhof 6x9 finder that arrived defective too. But they/Marflex fixed it and I still use it on my Tech 5. My opinion is that no company has a spotless record and it is impossible to test everything. But if the company is able to expediantly rectify the problems then everyone benefits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    You may be right, my Fuji 240mm f9 is in the same shutter as your Fuji. Mine also looks brand new and came from MidWest

- Mike
    Mike, I checked out Kerry Thalmann's Fuji page (http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm) after someone else pointed me there with an explanation. From what I understand now, Fuji mounts their lenses in Copal 'B' type shutters, which have the aperature adjustment at the bottom. This can cause problems with some of the smaller recessed lensboards, such as you might find on a Technika.

Since this is a 400mm lens, I don't think I'll worry about recessed lens boards :-D
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin