Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,825   Online: 790

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you just want to shoot a panorama now and then don't bother getting special backs, just a decent wide angle, then pencil mark the ground glass with your favorite ratios and crop in the darkroom. Much like the way the APS cameras were with the different selectable ratios. This way if the image happens to have a composition that makes it full frame as well as pano you have the option of recropping and experimenting.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Cut a darkslide in half (actually just a little more than half) and do two 2x5 images on each 4x5 piece of film. I do this with 8x10 all the time.

Or just crop the 4x5 film, using a mask as already suggested -- it is cheap.

Vaughn

Below is from using the modified darkslide on an 8x10...

Last Light, Yosemite Valley -- scanned platinum/palladium print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Last Valley Light, Yosemite Falls.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Isn't APUG AWESOME!
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It really is!

I think I'm just going to crop in the darkroom for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can use a Fuji PA45 back and the Fuji 4x5 instant pack films.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Unless you are going to shoot a lot of panoramics (6x12) it would probably be best just to crop down 4x5 sheet film. If you want to use one of the 6x17 backs you will need to get a graflock backed camera as others have suggested. If you have wood working skills either a Chamonix or a Shen-Hao back could be made to work on my Nagaoka (same camera as yours I think), though it would be easier to just purchase one of these cameras to start with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Cut a darkslide in half (actually just a little more than half) and do two 2x5 images on each 4x5 piece of film. I do this with 8x10 all the time.

Or just crop the 4x5 film, using a mask as already suggested -- it is cheap.

Vaughn

Below is from using the modified darkslide on an 8x10...

Last Light, Yosemite Valley -- scanned platinum/palladium print
    I agree. This is really easy to do and works great.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jeff, it is easy to do...but one has to maintain some level of mental sharpness while using it. My last time I used it was coming from Yosemite -- stopped by a river and photographed sunlight on bare alder branches...would have been a great image. But I composed the shot to use the bottom half of the GG...but slipped in the modified dark slide to expose the top half. Did it again when I turned the film back 180 degrees. So the neg had two images of the wrong part of the scene and was not well focused. First time I made that mistake! I was pretty burnt from giving a 5 day workshop in Yosemite and just was not thinking as clearly as I should have!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes. Considering the cost and the amount of use it would give me, I'll definitely be waiting awhile before I get a dedicated solution. I have also forgotten to compliment Vaughn on the wonderful image he shared with us. Thanks !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Jeff, it is easy to do...but one has to maintain some level of mental sharpness while using it. My last time I used it was coming from Yosemite -- stopped by a river and photographed sunlight on bare alder branches...would have been a great image. But I composed the shot to use the bottom half of the GG...but slipped in the modified dark slide to expose the top half. Did it again when I turned the film back 180 degrees. So the neg had two images of the wrong part of the scene and was not well focused. First time I made that mistake! I was pretty burnt from giving a 5 day workshop in Yosemite and just was not thinking as clearly as I should have!

Vaughn
    That is true - it does take a certain amount of focus or mistakes can happen. I use a piece of tape on each of the 4 sides and remove them when it is exposed - that helps a little for me.

Using a roll back is the easiest though. I've moved to the DaYi back, which I got on flea-bay for $200 or so.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin