Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,191   Online: 1158

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You have a wood camera with a removable back on a wood frame. You could make (or have made) a replacement back that has a salvage graflok-style back from an old Graflex press camera. This would give you access to all the possible roll film options. I do this myself for my
    larger-format wood field cameras. Essentially you cut a piece of high-grade plywood to the exterior dimension of the camera, then route-out a light trap on the inside, then cut a hole to fit the salvage graflok-back. Spray-paint everything flat back, and improvise a wee bit of hardware and you would be good to go.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I decided long ago that I could buy a lot of 4x5 film for the price of a 6x12 (or other) rollfilm holder and simply crop when I wanted a panorama view.

This has several advantages: 1. I can develop each sheet optimally, not at an average development for an entire roll. 2. I don't have to lug an extra, heavier holder around. 3. I can use different aspect ratios easily just by cropping. 4. I don't have to wait until the entire roll is exposed before seeing results. 5. I don't need different storage systems, extra developing tanks, reels, negative holders for the enlarger, etc. (again, more expense that could be better invested in film). 6. I don't have to change rolls in the field. 7. For a lightweight field camera like you (and I) use, rollfilm holders are often impractical due to weight and thickness. Plus, they defeat the goal of keeping things lightweight. 8. The list goes on...

The only downside I can see is if the film you like is not available in 4x5.

Just my opinion, but, I hope, helpful.

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Richard Ritter modified a spring back for my Deardorff Special. He used a Sinar international graflock back so now I can detach the glass and use my Horseman roll film backs and all the Sinar accessories like the Vario Mask, etc. The job was done well and I now have 5 cameras in one; 5x7, 4x5, 6x12, 6x9 and 6x7. I could even put a (gasp!) medium format digital back on it with the right adapter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin