Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,918   Online: 884

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

OK, Embarrassing Question time

Stupid Question:
    Is this back compatible with accessories such as roll film backs or polaroid backs?

More details:
    it's an Ikeda Anba 4x5 view camera, really basic stuff. I was looking at some panoramic images last night and thinking, "hey I really want to try that." I think at this point I won't be able to afford any sort of panoramic option but it would certainly seem to be easier to just slap a back on this cam rather than buying a whole new one.

here's the camera

Here's the empty back hole (technical term)

here's the lonely back

I wouldn't think so but one can hope.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    it will work with a Polaroid back. It will also work with or roll film holder, which has both supply and take-up spool on the same end.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Panoramics can be made with a 75mm SA and cropping.

There are some 6x12 rolfilm backs that can be inserted with this camera.
    You will need the "thin" ones.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi,

nice camera!

to put a roll film back on a camera, usually you remove
    just the ground glass, not the whole back as you have done.
    does the ground glass come off ( latches ) ?
    if so, it is probably like an "international back"
    if not, you probably can make a back or buy one
    that fits on like the one you removed, with a speed graphic
    or graflok ( old name for international back ) and use your roll film adapter.

maybe someone with the same camera can give you a better answer ...

good luck!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid yes, but long gone.

Some roll film backs will fit, essentially there are 2 types, and the thin type fits I can't give names & detail as as my Wista back allows all types, so I've not gone into it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It looks like a regular spring back, as opposed to a Graflok/International type back, so as the others have said, you would need the type of rollfilm back that slips under the groundglass like a regular filmholder. There are some less costly ones made by Calumet, and fancier ones made by Sinar (Zoom, Zoom II, Vario I think, and a few others) and Linhof (Rapid Rollex--not easy to find used, and very expensive new). The Sinar Zoom backs are multi-format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, everyone.

the glass is sadly, not removable.

As I suspected. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your back doesn't have the Graflok retaining clips, so you need a slide-in type rollholder.

Sinar (Panorama, Vario, Zoom, Zoom2) and Calumet/Cambo (C2N) have made slide-in backs in 6x12 format. They're quite big and heavy, and you may find that the rear standard of an ultralight camera like the Ikeda flexes a bit under the weight.

The Sinar ones were frightfully expensive - the last new price was in the thousands of dollars - but now can occasionally be found used for a semi-reasonable price. The Calumet/Cambo is still listed new at $869.99.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What not "mask" the ground glass with Gaffer tape and compose from there cropping in the darkroom? I don't know if the film plane can be masked????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wista (and possibly others) also make a modified thicker rollfilm back. It has sliding 'wings' that allow it to take pressure from a spring back frame, but also works with a Graflok system. I have 6x7 and 6x9 versions of this back. They work fine in my wooden Wista field camera, but do push the springs pretty far. The wings need to slide down for the film advance lever to operate. You'd have to check to see if they would work with the spring system on your camera. Thickness from the front face to the wings is 47mm. That's the distance from the front of where a regular film holder would rest to the point on the 'wings' where the wooden spring back frame would rest.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ages/63424.jpg

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 05-28-2009 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin