Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,919   Online: 881

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a Speed Graphic that has gone on trips with me. Camera and 6 film holders don't take up much room. Going back to Alaska in July. Camera will make it's second trip in the suitcase....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, if I get this stuff...
    The Speed part of the Speed Graphic is really not needed. I've heard that the focal plane shutter is just extra weight and bulk. I just need a leaf shutter for a backpacking 4x5 camera.

I have an Orbit 4x5, but that one has the solid steel monorail. It is really heavy and only travels well in its case. The lighter cameras would be much better in a pack.

I got some 4"x5" technical pan film in the mail today. Watch Out! I'm gonna be dangerous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Speed Graphic Anniversary. The Supermatic shutter on the original 127mm Ektar is sticky and needs a CLA. The focal plane shutter still works good and I've been able to make landscape shots just fine with it. The camera, 5 holders, changing bag, extra film and other accessories are quite portable and maybe weigh in at 15 pounds. Throw in a good light weight tripod and it's still only 20 pounds.
    My old Majestic tripod weighs 15 pounds by itself so I don't venture far from the car.:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I was lucky enough that someone else "won" that pallet of photo gear. Thanks to all who lurk and bid.

I did just get a new camera. It is a pre-anniversary Speed Graphic, made about 1936. The focal plane shutter needs CLA, as it is very sluggish. It has a Zeiss 135mm lens in Compur shutter. The leaf shutter works just fine, so I'm in business. I can wait to get the focal plane shutter working. Eventually, I'll want to use it with an old Ilex Paragon 7 1/2" barrel lens.

I now have the backpacking camera I have wanted. The only problem now is a tripod. I just started to research tripods. I checked out Karen Nakamura's web site comments on tripods. (I love Karen Nakamura!). Ouch! Tripods are pricey. Sigh... What to do?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Graphic is not that heavy..... you could try a Manfrotto 055 tripod, it will hold your camera with ease......

Congrad's by the way !

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    Well, I was lucky enough that someone else "won" that pallet of photo gear. Thanks to all who lurk and bid.

I did just get a new camera. It is a pre-anniversary Speed Graphic, made about 1936. The focal plane shutter needs CLA, as it is very sluggish. It has a Zeiss 135mm lens in Compur shutter. The leaf shutter works just fine, so I'm in business. I can wait to get the focal plane shutter working. Eventually, I'll want to use it with an old Ilex Paragon 7 1/2" barrel lens.

I now have the backpacking camera I have wanted. The only problem now is a tripod. I just started to research tripods. I checked out Karen Nakamura's web site comments on tripods. (I love Karen Nakamura!). Ouch! Tripods are pricey. Sigh... What to do?
    What to do?

Go used and go a little smaller than you think. The Speed isn't that heavy, especially if you are using a normal type lens. No sense killing yourself over a tripod. That takes the fun out of overland hiking for your art. Don't go with a ball head, they are too unstable until you get into large (and heavy) sizes.

I use an old "Star" for my Speed. I won't handle the Deardorff or the B&J 5x7, but the Speed works pretty good on it. And it weighs 1/3 what my Bogen does.

tim in san jose

Where ever you are, there you be.

JCT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can definitely get away with a lighter tripod with the Graphic.

I have started to take my Super Graphic on business trips because it is so compact. I invested in a Gitzo 1541T (not cheap), but it is by no means as rigid as my 1325 and for the graphic it is *fine*. With some digging you should be able to find something small and rigid enough to take along for around $110 with a simple pan-tilt head. I think Velbon and or Slik make some perfectly decent models.

Just make sure that they are not too heavy or you'll leave it behind.

I love my Super -- I shoot far more LF now that I bring it along all the time.

At some point look into a Grafmatic -- nice and compact!

JT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin