Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,454   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Graflex Press Cameras

I spotted a small collection of Graflex cameras in an auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

This got me thinking. Would the small size of a press 4 x 5 make up for the lack of swings, etc..
    I am mostly thinking of a backpacking camera for landscapes. What about the typical lens on these? Would a 135mm cover the edges of a 4x5 without falloff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    135mm would cover fine. Personally, I have nothing but positive things to say about the Graflex press 4x5s, they are a good investment and a lot of fun. The later coated Graphex lenses as well as the Ektars are actually really good too. If you are looking for a landscape camera, this is fine, as you probably won't be swinging a whole lot anyway.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 06-01-2009 at 10:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Speedographic?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Haha, so much for anybody getting a deal on that lot now..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    I spotted a small collection of Graflex cameras in an auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

This got me thinking. Would the small size of a press 4 x 5 make up for the lack of swings, etc..
    I am mostly thinking of a backpacking camera for landscapes. What about the typical lens on these? Would a 135mm cover the edges of a 4x5 without falloff?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Speedographic?
    That's the rare underwater version. It has the fast lens, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    you only see them around pools though....too embarrasing to bring the speed-o-graphic to the beach (well, except in Europe).

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a huge lot! I spotted two Speed Graphics, a probable B&J Press, an RB67, at least one enlarger, two timers, and who knows what else in a 389lb pallet. Pity they didn't break it up a bit. I always wonder with these whether someone has a local connection with the government agency, as they could make so much more by breaking it up so that shipping wasn't in the $400 range.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can get a cheap round ticket air fare for about $250. Rental car adds $50. What is Oregon like this time of year?

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think in backpacking 4x5 that a Graphic is good, depending on the what else your carrying and how far. If it's say 10+ miles I'd probably go with a Quick Load system thats lighter. The camera does usually weight in at +/- 6lbs plus stuff and some of that stuff is a tripod, and don't forget that water isn't light if your in arid territory. Watch when buying an appropriate lens for the general distance of the vista. Usually a couple of lenses are best to cover short and long. If you want to go light without spending alot of money a 2x3 Graphic might do better, albeit in a smaller format.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I backpack with a Speed Graphic - works great! They are very fun cameras to use, and are very durable.

Those ones in the photos look like they are the older type with the spring backs instead of the Graflok backs, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin