Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,060   Posts: 1,561,621   Online: 887

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

a new forum for me to follow...

I have lusted after large format for years. I used to say it would be after the kids were big enough to carry thier own day packs for when we were out on a hike. We were almost there.

Then about a year and a half ago I was gifted a whole whack of traditional photography materials, including about 10 full 50's and 25's , and a lot of half boxes of the same of 4x5 film.

Well a deal on a 4x5 enlarger came by too god to pass up...

And I borrowed a crown graphic for a while to get started, until the owner had a yen to start using it again.

Then I borrowed a kodak monorail for a few months, until a more worthy loan - to a young person taking photo at school needed it.

I went to the photo fair last week with cash for a view camera. No good monorails of the srt I was wanting at reasonable prices, but I did pick up a Crown Graphic with a 150mm and a couple of spare lens boards for $145, which woas a good price, and could have tided me over for a while.

Then Craigslist heard my desire, and today I landed a Cambo 4x5 with regular and bag bellows, a couple of lens hoods, a dozen holders, and a 210 symmar with a dead shutter for $300. I am comfortable with servicing the shutter, so I will take a peek before declaring it needs a pro repair.

So for our holday in 7 weeks, where I was hoping to do architectural photography of Chicago on ou 4 days there, I might just have time to hunt down a reasonably priced 90 or 75, and I will be all satisfied for at least a few more month, until the GAS strikes again. .
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you sell the Crown Graphic to me so that I can have something to tide me over for now?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but my GAS attacks take a while to get over. Once the hype has cooled, and I find gear sitting on my camera storage shelves unloved for too long I know it is time to move equipment on to more loving users.

I fixed the Symmar 210's shutter woes last night. I have worked on how to use the Crowns 150 tessar on the monorail (reverse a standard for infinity focusssing, or move the rail support so that it is not between the front and back standard), and the Symmar on the Crown.

It looks like the 210 on the Crown might be handy when shooting on location portraits, since it will just fit into the camera and still let it close, and the bellows has just a long enough draw to let me focus down until a sitters head fills the frame.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great deal Mike. Happy shooting
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you are not going to send the Graphic to me I will just have to buy a Hasselblad 903 SWC!

So there!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin