Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,646   Online: 802

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Perhaps the Protar would win in the flatness of field contest, but I don't think it's a fair comparison anyway. There's a WORLD of difference between 100 degrees of coverage and 135 degrees of coverage. To achieve a relatively flat field from, say, a 90mm lens on an 8x10 is amazing. To do it with a lens built c.1920 is nothing short of extraordinary.

(And a Protar will never beat a Goerz anything- when it comes to element separation.)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    I just got the Series V f:18 8x10 Protar, and am looking forward to comparing its field of view with the 100 degrees I get from my Veriwide. To confirm the pricing, I did get the new lens on eBay, and paid @$100 for it.

Patrick
    "Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do!"-Bender Bending Rodriguez

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjarvis
    (And a Protar will never beat a Goerz anything- when it comes to element separation.)
    One thing is at least certain: A Hypergon will never be plagued with element separation!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aren't some of the Process-Nikkor lenses similar in formula to the Hypergons? My 240/10 has massive coverage and as best as I can tell consists only of two extremely curved elements in a symmetrical design.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I thought the Nikkors were dialytes, like the Artars, but that would conflict with "massive coverage," since the Artars only offer a scant 45 degrees.

How massive are you talking?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's TWO Hypergons for sale on ebay.de at the moment!

a 120mm and a 60mm. To see then from ebay.com, just search for the item numbers: 3811759558 is the 120mm, 3811759569 is the 60mm. Same guy also has an incredible number of other things photographic - more than 1600 at the same time!

I find his starting prices are about twice what I'd be willing to pay for most items, otherwise there are quite a few things I would have bought.
    Norway

If you are interested in using the Wisner Hypergon please feel free to contact me. Yes, they can be made/ordered new as a special order item. Each one is hand made and the glass is ground to order. There is a waiting period.I just spoke to Ron Wisner today about this lens (I'm a Wisner camera dealer) and the specs and price have changed. It is a 90mm now with more coverage for 8x10. It might cover 11x14 but I'm not certain about this or how much illumination there is on that format. It is around $3000.00. There have not been very many lenses made of this type. Just a few.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Emile de Leon
    If you are interested in using the Wisner Hypergon please feel free to contact me.
    I'd love to try one, but fear that this could be difficult since I live in Norway. I know just where I would go with one, too - where I run out of film size with a 90mm SA on 5x7"!

Somebody else please give it a go! A 90mm Hypergon should be able to give plenty of movements in tight corners, even with the cos^4 light falloff.
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A 90mm lens that covers 8x10 with movements! That is impressive. And no distortion of the image?

The Hypergon is supposed to be one hell of a lens, nothing else like it. I've seen some photos on various websites with older versions of this lens and they were pretty impressive. Not much distortion that I could see. Maybe in the next year or two I'll spring for one and leave a review. If they are still made that is. Or if a bunch of folks were interested in purchasing maybe we could order at the same time for a quantity discount

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin