Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,180   Online: 874

Shooter
    35mm

Finished my wooden tripod

I've finally done it and built a wooden tripod. (A couple pictures here, more at http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/WoodenTripod.html).

It's a prototype, "pre-production" model. Not that I plan on actually going into production, but I learned a few things from the mistakes I made on this one. Despite the mistakes, it's surprisingly light and sturdy. I made it from cheap pine (actually some reclaimed boards I've had sitting around for years, so the wood cost me $0.) And it looks really nice, if I don't say so myself. (I plan on using some nice mahogany for the "production" version.) It has pretty much everything you'd want in a tripod except for an elevator crank.

If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to share the gory details of construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wt10_thumb.jpg   wt2_thumb.jpg  
    I'm mostly interested in the equipment in and of itself. Pictures are just a side effect.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It shure looks good !

Congrad's on your work well done.

Peter

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Congrats!

Looks like it's waiting for a homebrew field camera. Is that next?
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Kyiv View Post
    Congrats!

Looks like it's waiting for a homebrew field camera. Is that next?
    Ackshooly, what inspired making the tripod was finishing restoration on a century-old wooden field camera, a Rochester Optical Co. "Universal" 5x8 (being converted into a 5x7). As I said on my page, a wooden camera must needs a beautiful wooden tripod to sit upon. Wouldn't feel right using a modren aluminum or (shudder!) plastic model.

A homebrew wooden camera would also be perfectly appropriate.
    I'm mostly interested in the equipment in and of itself. Pictures are just a side effect.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As one who has built two tripods and two cameras (Walnut 8x20 and 11x14) I agree in that you have to have a nice looking Wooden tripod for the nice camera you have restored. Congratulations on the tripod. Make sure to get some pictures of both when they are together. I for one would love to see them. Nice going and enjoy.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin