Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,181   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the exact same lens & I use normal screw in glass filters. Mostly with 95mm filters with an adapter ring. It works perfectly, but if you use any extreme camera movements and it will quickly vignette.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would suggest investing in a Lee Holder and a wide angle mounting flange. They are pricey but in the long run they'll pay off. The holder holds 100mmx100mm resin, poly, or gel filter, and what I like about it is that you can stack filters: you can stack several ND filters to get 6-8 or more stop changes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You ought to look at the Lee system. Their graduated neutral density filters, in both hard and soft graduations, are particularly useful. Also, their system uses adapter rings to allow you to avoid having to duplicate filters to accommodate different lens filter thread sizes. This allows you to have one set of filters that, with an adapter ring, can be fitted to any lens you have up to 95mm. Actually, in some cases, with more adapters, slightly larger than that--depending on the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Obviously, I type too slow.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    In a pinch - either with no stepdown ring or if the stepdown ring causes vignetting, you can use tacky (not real sticky) tape, like the blue masking tape, to attach a larger diameter glass filter to the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the gel filter is flapping in the wind, you can just tape it down. You are using it in a gel filter holder, right? I would also use a lens hood, which in these cases would also double as a wind shield.

Reminds me of one time in which the wind knocked over my Sinar C and Bogen 3051. It was up on one leg and about to hit the deck, but luckily I caught it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-16-2009 at 02:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If the gel filter is flapping in the wind, you can just tape it down. You are using it in a gel filter holder, right? I would also use a lens hood, which in these cases would also double as a wind shield.

Reminds me of one time in which the wind knocked over my Sinar C and Bogen 3051. It was up on one leg and about to hit the deck, but luckily I caught it.
    The filter holder is made by Eastman Kodak and is made of wood and holds a 4x4 filter. Funny how "it's all I have" can so quickly turn into "I need more!" :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    The filter holder is made by Eastman Kodak and is made of wood and holds a 4x4 filter. Funny how "it's all I have" can so quickly turn into "I need more!" :o
    Maybe you can rig a frame for the edges of the filter so that it fits more tightly into the slot on the holder. You could use one of several materials, such as card stock, brass shim stock, wood veneer strips, or even just thin strips of tape.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Maybe you can rig a frame for the edges of the filter so that it fits more tightly into the slot on the holder. You could use one of several materials, such as card stock, brass shim stock, wood veneer strips, or even just thin strips of tape.
    good idea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    good idea
    Thanks...but I have an even better one (I think): Put the shims into the slot itself, instead of onto each filter. Wooden strips might be a good starting point. Balsa is sold at hobby/train stores in thin sheets of various thicknesses, or you can get plenty if you buy a $1.00 toy glider and use the leftover scraps. Then you get a cool toy airplane as well!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-16-2009 at 06:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin