Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,729   Online: 916

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

filters for large format wideangle lens

I'd like to get a screw in filter for my Fujinon 65mm f/5.6 lens. The set up I'm using doesn't work. I bought a Kodak gelatin filter and it just flops around in the wind. Can the standard filters be used (the round ones for 35mm SLR camera lenses) on a large format lens or will there be too much vignetting? What about an adapter ring and an oversized filter? I'd like to get some ND filters to slow the water, but can't find any info on my lens. I also don't know what size filter it takes. I can't see that it's marked anywhere on the lens.

Anybody out there use ND filters (not center filters) on their wide angle lenses?

Thanks in advance!

Dorothy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A STUPID, quick question: does the filter size appear on the inside of the lens cap? I had the same lens(At least I think I dumped it). You are correct, Vignetting is a big problem especially if you try the Oversized filter & Adaptor ring. I taped(Tape at the corners(Black Photographic or Gaffers) the gel filter to the inside of the lensboard. Actually I had to make the tape long and actually tape each corner to the side rr of the lens causing the gel to "bow out" which made no difference, image wise but certainly solved the wind problem, the filter size problem and saved$$$.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What was the Nikon ND filter you mentioned buying? Size, density?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't be bashful about trimming the gel to fit the inside of the Wisner Lensboard if there is a clearance problem. You may have to have a dedicated gel or two for that lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Armstrong View Post
    A STUPID, quick question: does the filter size appear on the inside of the lens cap? I had the same lens(At least I think I dumped it). You are correct, Vignetting is a big problem especially if you try the Oversized filter & Adaptor ring. I taped(Tape at the corners(Black Photographic or Gaffers) the gel filter to the inside of the lensboard. Actually I had to make the tape long and actually tape each corner to the side rr of the lens causing the gel to "bow out" which made no difference, image wise but certainly solved the wind problem, the filter size problem and saved$$$.
    Thank you Paul, I never would have thought to look on the inside of the lens cap! It is 70mm. I have some 77mm Nikon filters for my 35mm SLR. I can't seem to picture your setup for taping the gel to the inside of the lensboard. Wish I had a picture of that. It's hard to tell if it's vignetting or the natural gradation of dark to light where the foreground of the water goes back to the horizon (foreground being darker). If it's vignetting, maybe a center filter is in order. Ahhh the challenges of a new lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Consider putting a filter on the back element, if it is smaller. There are also the 4x4 and larger gels that you can tape or position inside your bellows, behind the rear element.

Here is a (G)ND trick: you can wave a black object (e.g. dark slide) in front of the lens to act as an ND, and move it selectively over one part of the frame to act as a GND. LF is particularly well suited to this trick because you can see what you're getting on the ground glass. So what you can do is hold your makeshift GND in front of the lens, note the effect on the ground glass, and make chalk marks on the lens to guide you when you take the shot. Of course, it is imperative to keep your "filter" moving, to avoid sharp boundaries on your negative. It's basically dodging during the exposure.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Keith,

I think I found a use for the gel filter. I have a 14mm Nikkor for my SLR which takes behind the lens filters. Maybe I'll cut it down and use it for that. I think I'll experiment with the 67-77 step up ring and see if that works for the 4x5.

thanks for your help!

Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Armstrong View Post
    What was the Nikon ND filter you mentioned buying? Size, density?

Paul, I have to look and see what filters I have. I have a 77mm Nikon polarizer (nice!) and I know I have a 77mm 1000X (10 stop) B+W, a 1stop B+W, and a 4X 2stop Promaster. Also a split density 77mm B+W. I use these on my SLR.

The gel filter is Kodak and is an ND 2.0 6 2/3 stop. A 4stop ND would probably be good, but my funds are a little low right now.

Are you looking to sell?
    Last edited by djkloss; 06-15-2009 at 07:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use ordinary screw-in filters on large format lenses all the time. The key concept is that screw-in filters will vignette the image circle but if the the camera movements don't put the film format near the edges of the image circle your picture won't be vignetted.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee makes a filter holder held on the lens with a rubber band. It uses their largish gel filters and works quite well with the extremely short 9I.E. 65MM, 58MM and shorter lenses.. Holds the gel right against the front of the barrel, so no vignetting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin