Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,885   Posts: 1,520,577   Online: 1031

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Plenty of ThorntonPickard shutters

Currently there's a lot of these excellent shutters on Ebay (in the UK) at the moment many from the same seller finishing around the same time. This is unusual and will mean they fetch less than normal. £20/$33 would be a good price.

These shutters are very easy to repair, but all appear to function OK, the cord is a simple to replace if missing.

I've just fully re-furbished a real dead beat Thornton Pickard shutter sold for parts, and it now functions perfectly although I need to make a new cable release mechanism. But there's no Rocket science they are extremely simple & logical

I may buy another

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian care to tell/show how you repair the shutter. I have a TP shutter that the cloth shutter need replacing, the rest is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a website with details of making a new shutter blind it's not difficult at all. In my case I removed the blind, cleaned off a lot of flaking material, maybe someone had tried to repair it previously and seal pinholes etc, I used methylated spirits. I then ironed the cloth and re-sealed/light proofed it using a flexible acrylic black paint which soaked into the material. The woodwork was french polished before re-assembly and final adjustment.

This link
    is useful for general LF Focal plane shutter repair, but her's the TP shutter repair pages, I re-built mine before reading this

I'd add that the best cord I could find was for window blinds.

Hope that helps

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian, have BM the pages for a rainy day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Thanks Ian, have BM the pages for a rainy day
    Every day was a rainy day when I was in the UK restring my TP shutter

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin