Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 796

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot B&W and E-6. No C-41 for me because I only know one place left to process it and not willing to travel to that lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I occasionally shoot Ektachrome 4x5 (because I scored a pile cheap ($1/sheet)) and make 8x10 contact negatives for various alt processes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Why is the camera upside down?", to which I sometimes tell them that they have to stand on their head.
    When I rotate the back on my Super Graphic they ask why does the image not rotate with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    When I rotate the back on my Super Graphic they ask why does the image not rotate with it.
    That's because the Graphic is a press camera. The image will probably rotate with the back on a real view camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    You need to tell them that one needs to rotate the LENS to do that

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Since this is now my thread about anything to do with view cameras (although I do like the turn it's taken recently); a question about film.

Do people shoot color negative film in large-format cameras? Is it common? It seems to me that the big landscapy/'calendar photo' genre photos would be shot on something like Velvia. But unless you have a 4x5 projector, it would seem printing would have to be done digitally for the most part, wheras you could put a sheet of color negative film in a 4x5 enlarger.
    Yes, people do shoot color negative film in large format cameras. Is it common? I don't know. I shoot 8x10 color negative and color transparency. I have fun with taking the transparencies to work and projecting them on the wall with an overhead projector. It's really nice to see them projected. You could do the same with the 4x5 and a mask of some sort.

As for printing from a transparency I have had internegatives made from several of my 8x10 transparencies and gotten prints made that way.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't know anything about view cameras and have never even seen one used. I understand that you can look at the back of the camera and see the image upside-down on the ground glass, and then you use that to focus the camera.

So that means the lens is focused on the ground-glass surface. So how, when you put in a film holder and retract the darkslide, is the lens focused on the film then? It would seem that due to the thickness of the film holder, it would be in front of the ground glass surface. Do you remove the ground glass before inserting the film holder?
    The frame that holds the glass is movable. You move it out of the way to put the film holder in, and the film in the holder ends up where the ground glass was (you hope). There are springs that connect the ground glass frame to the rest of the back. These springs both hold the film holder tightly against the back and make it so you don't have to totally remove the frame when inserting a film holder.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's still possible to print Ilfochromes by projection from LF transparencies.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Pinhole
    This upside down/backwards conundrum is even worse when you're shooting paper negatives, and can't look through a transparent film base to see the image the way you did on the ground glass, but rather you have to imagine the front side of the ground glass and how the projected image thereon appears.

Regarding the whole issue of left/right reversal of images in mirrors, I've often wondered why mirrors also don't reverse things up/down; that is, why is there a preferential axis of reversing in the horizontal direction? One resource that helped me understand that question better was the late Martin Gardner's book "The Ambidextrous Universe."

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect the difference between C41 & transparency is the printing industry was able to get a better result by using the transparency film as the original. To the client it also looks REAL impressive when you put it on a light box and a negative looks kinda orange & blah and it's a much harder sell.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin