Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,311   Online: 875

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

question about view cameras and focusing

I don't know anything about view cameras and have never even seen one used. I understand that you can look at the back of the camera and see the image upside-down on the ground glass, and then you use that to focus the camera.

So that means the lens is focused on the ground-glass surface. So how, when you put in a film holder and retract the darkslide, is the lens focused on the film then? It would seem that due to the thickness of the film holder, it would be in front of the ground glass surface. Do you remove the ground glass before inserting the film holder?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The distance from the lens to the ground glass is exactly the same as the distance from the lens to the film once the holder is inserted.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The ground glass is held generally by spring steel that allows it to open up for the film and put the film in exactly the place the glass was.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To be fully correct, the image is upside down and backwards. There's no reason to fear this, though many newbies do. It's actually a great composition tool. And after you've worked with a view camera for awhile your brain will adapt and you'll only see the image upside down and backwards if you will it.

Design of view cameras is such that the ground glass is in a frame that's held in place by springs. This frame is pulled backwards (away from the lens) and the film holder is inserted in front of the ground glass. If the camera is set up correctly (and it's fairly rare to have a problem with this) registration between ground glass and film is excellent. So what you see on the ground glass is what you get on the film.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    To be absolutely absolutely correct, the image is upside down but not backwards. It just reads the other direction from being upside down. It is not like a Rolleiflex ground glass that shows the image backwards (though right side up).
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like to fiddle about try using a piece of ground glass or frosted plastic on your 35. Just press it against the film rails of your camera & open the shutter on B it's the same thing but smaller.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've done that before to set the focus on non-SLR cameras. I focused the viewing lens and then put a piece of ground glass on the back and adjusted the taking lens so that the image on the ground glass was in focus.

It surprised me to see that the image on the ground glass was color.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't know anything about view cameras ...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hehehe. Once in a while when I'm shooting someone with the 4x5 -- and they know I shoot in B&W -- we switch positions and I let them see me under the darkcloth on the ground glass. Comments I've gotten: "Oh, it's digital!", or "Hey, this is in colour. You said it was black and white!", "Why is the camera upside down?", to which I sometimes tell them that they have to stand on their head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Oh, you must have the lens on upside down!"

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 06-18-2009 at 12:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: slight tweek
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin