Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,612   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Composing upside down

Am I the only one who finds it easier to compose upside down? I tried doing some handheld stuff with the sports finder on my Speed Graphic, and I had a really hard time getting a composition I liked.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like WLF on smaller cameras to. Upside down isn't an problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think viewing upside down ("umop episdn"?) helps to concentrate on the composition as a whole rather than on the objects in the photo. For much the same reason, copying drawings upside down is a standard exercise for art students.

-NT
    Last edited by ntenny; 06-18-2009 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity of wording
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Am I the only one who finds it easier to compose upside down? I tried doing some handheld stuff with the sports finder on my Speed Graphic, and I had a really hard time getting a composition I liked.
    If you had used your sports finder in australia, you wouldn't have had a problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    If you had used your sports finder in australia, you wouldn't have had a problem
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, you are not alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are not alone...but I am not with you. I would prefer for the ground glass image to always be oriented the same way that the print will be oriented. I don't care enough to use one of those big honking mirror thingies on the back of my camera, however.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It's upside down? After 30 years, I really don't pay much attention to the orientation. And since I make single transfer carbon prints, the images end up backwards...so I don't mind looking at the image reversed on the GG. Not to mention that I learned photography using a TLR Rolleiflex. Backwards is normal enough to me.

Once years ago I remember spending a lot of time under the darkcloth and when I popped my hear out from under it, it was the rest of the world that seemed upside down.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find that composing upside down often seems easier since the image is more abstract and you don't have the usual pre-conceived notions of how it should look--not that the results are correspondingly better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit I really don't notice the difference. The key thing for me is composition, so whether the image is upside-down, back-to-front (as with my TLR) or the right-way-up makes little difference. I do prefer focussing on a large format GG though, especially my new Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen which often removes the need to use a focussing cloth!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin