Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 687

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Question on Dallmeyer 4A lens

Hello,

I have just successfully registered and I'm very happy to be a part of the APUG family. My warmest greetings to all of you. So this is my very first posting on this forum and here it goes...
    can anybody comment on the DALLMEYER Patent Portrait lenses and the "4A" in particular? So far I have learned that it is a modified Petzval design with SF mechanism, covers 10x8 and starts at f/4. But why is so little information on the web compared to the 2B, 3A and 3D? Is this a rare lens? Despite its designation as a portrait lens, is it also suitable for still life or outdoor photography, say, landscapes or nature closeups?
    I look forward to all inputs, many thanks in advance!!!

Cheers, Carsten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Lens Vade Mecum says: Rapid Rectilinear Portrait f4.0 made in 6 foci, 10-22in, also f4.8, 30in. In 1889 this was the "NEW" Rapid
    Rectilinear portrait, and was sold as:
    Ordinary Intensity Type (A) This is probably the f4.0 series.
    No1A, 2.75in dia. for Cabinets,
    No2A, 3.5in dia. for Cabinets,
    No3A, 4in dia. for Cabinets up to 9x7in,
    No4A 4.5in dia. for 10x8 and Imperial Portraits,
    No5A 5in dia. for 15x12in,
    No6A 6in dia. for 20x16in

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very helpful, outwest and thanks for your quick answer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Carsten, the traditional Dallmeyer Patent Portrait "A" type lenses are petzvals, not rectilinears. By checking the serial number here, http://www.antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html you can be sure. Similarly with a lot of Dallmeyer designs, the numeral in the designation indicates the size. Therefore a 3A and 4A are the same design, F4 petzvals, with the 4A being larger.

You can get a good description and picture on about page 15 of an old catalog here: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llmeyer_1.html

Garrett

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Carsten!

Cheers, Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dallmeyer produced fewer of the larger Portrait Petzvals, so that would account for the general lack of user reports on the web. I have the Dallmeyer 3A Patent Portrait and it's a beautiful lens, but very large, so if you're hunting for a 4A, you better have a studio camera. The 3A will cover 8x10 and you can fit it to an 8x10 field camera, but it doesn't quite fit on a 6"x6" lensboard. Even the 3A is a stretch for a field camera. As with any Petzval, you can use it for any purpose, but the controlling factor is format size relative to the focal length of the lens. It all comes down to the qualities you're looking for in a lens--zone of central sharpness, blur, swirl. If you're shooting wet plate, the speed is critical, but if you plan on using the lens with film, you might consider a slower (lighter, less expensive) Petzval.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Steve, I really appreciate your kind words, many thanks!

Garrett/Barry, thanks so much for all the valuable information. I'm still a LF newbie and deeply grateful for all inputs. Not long ago, I came across the petzval and soft focus lenses and immediately fell in love with the images they are able to create. Jesus!, this pictorial look definitely stirs my blood (I'm especially fond of A.L.Coburn's and A.de Meyer's work). I'll post another thread (on SF lenses) and would be glad about your comments.

Carsten

Shooter
    Large Format
    Glad to help. Here is an article that gives some more petzval use perspectives: http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/mod/...iew.php?id=120

Also, see the flickr site here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/868027@N25/
    There are a couple hundred images by current photographers in various media.

Check out the Large Format Forum too, for more on this lens and petzvals.....

Garrett

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Carsten, did you get that pretty black one that looked un-used on Ebay the other night? It's a gorgeous lens but it will require a large front panel to mount on. They were intended and are at home on the old studio cameras with 9X9 inch lens boards. Mine is mounted on a 6 3/4" board that fits into a 9X9 Ilexpo shutter and it's maxed on that board. They won't go on a 6X6 board.

As to mention on line, the Dallmeyer 3A (16 inch) patent petzval is sort of the jumping off place to the really big lenses. The 4A is a magnitude bigger than anything common so simple rarity probably answers your question. There may have been 100 3A's for every 4A but that's a rank guess.

As to use, the sky's the limit. Or maybe the bellows is the limit. If you wad through the stuff at my site long enough you'll eventually find some things shot with a Dallmeyer 4A. Gorgeous lens.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Carsten, did you get that pretty black one that looked un-used on Ebay the other night? ..... Gorgeous lens.
    That 4A on the 'bay did look unused, but I wondered why it had the focal length and maximum aperture inscribed on the barrel (under the Serial No.). Maybe Dallmeyer did that on some lenses and not others? Could it have possibly have been re-painted? Either way I am sure it is a great lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin