Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,612   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Choosing a tripod, Induro?, Flashpoint?

I have a Sinar F and I am trying to choose an appropriate tripod for it.

I dont have a lot to spend so im ruling out gitzo.

For about $100, i could get the A214 Induro, which is alloy and supports 4kg (17.6lbs) which I believe will be just about enough.

Adorama offers a carbon fiber tripod, the Flashpoint CF1228 which supports the same amount and is $180.

There is a tripod i saw in the latest Freestyle catalog that was also CF, a little cheaper (154???) and a little less strong (15.5lbs??). But I seem to have lost that publication and cant find the specific model on the website.

Can anyone tell me about any of these models, better yet about using them with LF cameras?

Thanks, GJA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can't comment on those specificially, but I do own a Feisol tripod (CT3401) and is is an amazing tripod for $220. It is as good or better than the Gitzos I've played with. You can buy it through Kerry Thallman at Really Big Cameras....he is easy to work with an a true gentleman. I use it for both medium format and 4x5 (small Tachihara) and it is more than rigid enough.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi,

I owned a Sinar and used it with my Manfrotto 055 tripod.... it felt a bit flimsy event if it's not a light tripod. I finally bought a used Gitzo (old N°4, aluminium tripod) and it felt about right.

With my Tachihara I'm using a Berlebach (9033 in this case). If I was to buy a Sinar again, I'd consider a bigger Berlebach (UNI series if I remember well).
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hello GJA

4kg = 8lb 13 ozs approx : 1 kg = 2.204 lbs

So if you need to support 17/18 lbs then you need a tripod which will take at least 8 Kg ( 18 / 2.204 = 8.16..... )

Regards Daniel

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, yes, I realize that I made a mistake converting to KG. I put them in because I thought there are many people who use metric on this site. I of course am an American and we are hopeless with measures and units and especially so with the metric system. Forgive my math errors, you are right, it seems that the tripods I have been looking at are actually 8kg ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    try to find a used gitzo all the way. i gots a series V for a steal a few weeks back with a pan-tilt head, and this thing is ROCK-SOLID! my friends 12x20 camera is right at home on this thing! its a heavy mother(22 lbs or so), and being aluminum, its great in all weather conditions. if i had more $, i'd have carbon fiber(gitzo still), but I'm saving for a good ball head( arca swiss or Linhof), used of course.

i put my f100 all the way up to my f2 8x10 on this old gal, and she's never complained. rock solid all the way

a lot of the wooden tripods are nice. berlebach and the such.... they're not cheap, but from what I've read and heard, they're EXCELLENT at dampening vibrations from wind, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    Hi, yes, I realize that I made a mistake converting to KG. I put them in because I thought there are many people who use metric on this site. I of course am an American and we are hopeless with measures and units and especially so with the metric system. Forgive my math errors, you are right, it seems that the tripods I have been looking at are actually 8kg ones.
    hey, i'm as american as they come . i still prefer metric though. 5.240 doesn't seem right compared to 1.000. 10's are easier for me to wrap my brain around compared to 12's and 1/8's,etc......

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Im planing on making a wooden tripod later this summer but cant wait to use my camera.

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Induro A214 or the Induro A414.

These are the ones that fit my budget. Does anyone have positive or negative experience with these tripods or the Benro equivalent?

Also, if I have a load under the weight limit of either, will the stronger tripod do me any good?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Has anyone used a theodolite tripod?
    Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Wild tripod which I use for 4 x 5 and 8 x 10. I am quite sure it is strong enough to stand on.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin