Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,390   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sinar cable release wanted

Hi Gang, I'm slowly 'getting there' and have managed to get the stop down cable with bayonet adaptor and the synch lead for my Sinar Copal shutter...All I need now is the shutter release cable and I'm ready to go

If anyone has a spare I would be very interested in buying it or swapping it for something!

TIA
    Cheers Dave

ps...I have been looking on fleabay with no luck

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a release cable. It seems to just be the normal everyday one that is used with LF lenses. It is long enough, around 20cm probably.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    I've got a release cable. It seems to just be the normal everyday one that is used with LF lenses. It is long enough, around 20cm probably.
    If only it were that easy.....The Sinar copal shutter is a 'long throw' one and has about a 50mm travel (which has nothing to do with it's lengh) it also have 'ears' at the plunger end as quite a bit of pressure is required to move the diaphram and fire the shutter. The shutter end of the cable has a 45 deg bend in it!

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the release cables (and the sync cables) are special items for the Sinar shutters. It happens just a bit too often that these shutters are for sale without these items and sourcing them can be a very expensive experience. I.e. if you are buying one, beware of those without the dedicated release cable and sync cable. (The "stop down cable", which closes the shutter and sets the aperture on Sinar DB lenses is an optional item, which isn't necessary, but nice when shooting a lot as it saves a bit of work and cuts some seconds of the shooting time for each shot. I.e. once you've decided on your shutter time and working aperture, set both values on the shutter (aperture and shutter still wide open), push in your film cassette (and the shutter closes), take out the darkslide and shoot (and the aperture closes to the pre-set value).)

I've seen some descriptions on how to make/modify an ordinary release cable, which may work, but the original item seems a lot better.
    But don't let this turn you off the idea of the Sinar/Copal shutter. It's a very sturdy shutter, which will last for a very long time doing heavy duty service. Even though the shutter sounds like a car crashing through the wall of your studio with the vibrations to go with it, these vibrations comes as the shutter closes so they will not show as a vibrating camera.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You could try these gentlemen http://www.image2output.com/prodlist.aspx?cat=34 all they have listed is the new stuff ,though they might have some old equipment in a box , if you look at the price of a new shutter they are not exactly giving them away, an other option is ebay ,which is where I got mine from at considerably less money that from image group

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin