Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,559   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Voigtländer Braunschweig Heliar 1:3.5 F= 21

Anyone got any opinions of or experience with this lens?

There's one for sale here in Sweden, with serial no 1113454.

My google fu doesn't give me any information about the 210mm (the 240/4.5 seems a lot more common).

Can I put it in a shutter?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A 3.5 Heliar is rare indeed. Should be a splendid lens for photographing people with 4X5. It's for portraits. The other Heliars shared barrel length and size with some of the Schneider lenses. I don't know if that was just a happy coincidence but my 210 4.5 Helair would fit into a Compound 3 shutter that the elements of a 210 4.5 Xenar just came out of. If that carried over you might get lucky and the 3.5 would go right into a Compound 4 that a 240 Xenar once lived in. It's a crap shoot, but maybe. (crap shoot is US slang for gamble or game of chance)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grab it if you can, it is an awesome lens. I have number 1113430 monted in a #4 Compound. Looks like they could have been made the same day. Voigtlander made a small run of these and i believe the serial number dates it to 1935
    Don't know if it is a direct fit into the #4 but it can be made to fit.
    The lens has the famous Voigtlander treat, sharp but with a fine smooth softnes in the out of focus areas and if you shoot it wide open there will be lot's of OOF.
    Last edited by JLP; 07-02-2009 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some info about Heliars is here: http://www.antiquecameras.net/heliarlenses.html. Then we'll see in a weeks time if there's only me and mr Rydberg interested. (It's holiday season here in Sweden and very hot and sunny at the moment...)

//Björn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the information.

My plan was to use it on my 8x10, as a wide angle, but maybe its too soft in the corners for that. Maybe its better to use it as you said as a portrait lens, with a 4x5 back.

Björn, yes we'll see who comes up lucky next week. My problem is that my vacation starts today

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW, JLP would you say that the image circle would cover 8x10 with adjustments?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is not a WA lens, so don't think about 8x10". It covers about 50deg or so (as compared to a Plasmat, e.g. Symmar, which covers 70deg). The seller who states 24x30cm (that's 10x12" for you non-metric folks ), don't know what he's talking about. He's probably looking at some prints made from negs shot possibly with the lens in question.
    Also, the lens covers much less when shot wide-open and the magic of Heliars is shooting them wide-open. At f/22 they are just sharp (i.e. just about as sharp as any other good lens).

//Björn

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Voigtlander catalog lists this for 13 x 18cm and it was fitted to a Compound IV R10 -1 shutter.

Have fun with it.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Bjorn stated, it is not a wide angle lens and it will not cover 8x10 It works well on 5x7
    I believe i read some where that coverage is a bit better on the 3.5 version than the 4.5 but don't know if this is accurate information.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The circle of illumination is a lot larger than the circle of coverage, and at very small stops a 210 heliar should almost cover 8x10". I've used a 150mm Heliar f:4.5 on 5x7" - but then again, I've also used a 90mm Angulon on 5x7"...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin