Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,138   Online: 920

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ready for the plunge... Graflex View 4x5?

Hello, folks;
    I've been wishing and hoping and weighing my options and I have finally made my decision. (I think :rolleyes: ) I have the opportunity to purchase a Graflex Graphic View sans lens or holders for what I think is a pretty good price. (Under $200 US) Are there any caveats I should heed before jumping in?

I eagerly await any advice you may offer.

(I do not have a 4x5 enlarger at this time, though I do have access to one if need be. I am not averse to contact printing 4x5 either.)

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds expensive at $200. I assume itàs a 1 and not a II?

Caveats? It's not a field camera so if that matters understand the trade offs. Being 50+ years old condition is everything. Is the tripod mount included?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds expensive at $200. I assume itàs a 1 and not a II?
    Yes, my understanding is that it is a model-I. Tripod mount is included. (and quite necessary, as I understand) As near as I can tell, the camera is in good condition. I have seen less complete outfits on the auction site for substantially cheaper, but the camera I am considering is in Canada, saving a LOT on shipping. In that regard, it is essentially an apples and oranges comparison as far as final cost is concerned.

Thanks for your input; it has become part of the equation.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 07-05-2009 at 10:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Ria

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Graphic View and I have been quite happy with it. It has more movements than I am ever likely to use and I believe it to be very well built.
    It is not, as noted above, the sort of camera one can easily fold up, throw into a backpack and go traipsing for miles through the countryside; however, you can take a boat load of photos within easy walking distance of your vehicle or in your own backyard.
    As for the age-old question of "What's it worth?"...What's it worth to you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom –

It’s been 40 years since I used a Graflex Graphic View camera but I never thought of it as a “field” camera. After looking at your portfolio, I’m guessing you will want to use this camera outside the studio.

Have you considered a Graflex “press” camera? The reason they were called press cameras is that they were able to take a fair amount of abuse in the field. They have the same general features as the studio view camera with only one major negative, is you lose the back (film holder) movements. You still have the front movements, protection for the bellows and the added bonus (on all except for the last ones produced) of a focal plane shutter. This gives you the ability to use any lens you can get mounted on the lens board or no lens at all (pin hole).

Ken
    Up north in Sterling Heights, Michigan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to agree a mon0rail isn't the easiest camera to use outside a studio situation. I own and use 3 Graphics, oa Crown & 2 Speeds, these are OK for handheld work but lacking in movements. I use the Graphics where tripods are banned.

A better bet is a Super Graphic or the Toyo equivalent they have better movements more like their European equivalents MPP's and Linhof's.

You should go out with another LF user and see what suits you, I've helped out 2 APUG members by giving them an opportunity to try Monorails, Field & Press cameras, see who on APUG is near you that could help you choose.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input, all.
    It's starting to look that as sexy as it appears, this might not be the camera for me. Thanks for taking the time to look at my portfolio, Ken and making a recommendation based on what you can guess of my photographic process. (Welcome to APUG, by the way)

Thank you Nick and Ria, as well. Ian, I'd be happy to stop by Turkey (or West Midlands) some time to try some cameras with you. Though I am quite experienced with 35mm and medium format, (and I would like to think, somewhat accomplished) I have no experience in large format whatsoever. As I doubt I will be buying more than one LF camera in the forseeable future, I am hoping to grab one "everything" camera which will have the most features and least drawbacks. I am hoping that the camera I choose will be flexible enough to accept more modern lenses and shutters or hand-mounted "Jim Galli Specials".

I am still open to suggestions, though, and will probably put this idea on the back burner for awhile, as I am off to South America for a couple of weeks. When I return, I will have enough processing and printing lined up to keep me busy for most of the summer. I am determined to make the move to LF sooner than later, but do not wish to jump in too quickly or ill-advisedly.

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have that very camera. Purchased it a few years back with the case, a lens, and a couple of film holders for a little more than $200 USD. It is a heavy beast, and lacks the finesse of some other large format cameras, but it is sturdy and fully capable of doing what you need it to do. You get use lenses as short as 90 mm. without too much trouble if you can score a recessed lens board, and it has more than enough in the way of movements so that you won't be restricted there either.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Tom I like to add a couple of things about 4x5:
    I have a mono rail for the studio and lately a wooden field camera to make things a bit easier on me.
    That much for not more than one 4x5 camera....

There are pro's and con's to both the mono rail and the field:

I love mono rails for their ease of use, its full movements both front and back and what is important in the studio: a focussing back.
    They are heavier than most fields but I used a heavy Sinar P2 in the field for over 20 years photographing architecture.

I love my Shen Hao for its compactness and ample movements, the Shen Hao TZ45-IIB has even focussing with the back standard and exangable bellows (standard bellows and wide-angle or bag bellows)
    I have the Shen Hao HZX45-IIA, by the way and am thinking about building a field my self based on the SH.

A Linhof Master Technika is a sturdy walk around field camera, a joy to use and expensive, think about $ 2000,- to $ 3000,- or more used.
    Earlier versions can be bought for less.

Having your lenses mounted on Technika plates has the advantage that you can use your lenses on the field and the mono rail, the mono rail will just need an adapter plate for the Technika plates. My Sinar has one.

I agree with the idea of first visiting somebody that has either a mono rail or a field, or even better both and to try these camera's out.

Have fun, and a great trip to South America.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, thanks to the generosity of APUG-ers, I have an offer to test a monorail, so this will give me an opportunity to get a feel for the camera. (I haven't even considered how I will go about processing my prints... looks like I'll be wasting a few frames learning tray development )

I'll jump into this pond when I return from my big trip.

Cheers, and thanks for all the suggestions.
    Last edited by Toffle; 07-05-2009 at 06:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin