Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,345   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where from does come such a light leak?

Hello.

How to fix such a light leak as seen on the attachment. I suspect it's the holder, as the leak is present on two different cameras and is in the same position on the film regardless of the orientation or camera.

Holders in question are some old-style 9x12cm Fidelity Deluxe, with metal darkslide-handlers.

What I have not yet done, is to replace the dark slides with newer plastic-ended from some Regal II 4x5, would that help? Those Regal holders perform OK on the same cameras, without any leaks.

Or am I missing something else?

Regards,
    Enno
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-090708-0006a.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a light leak, that would give a dark line like this on the negative, which would print or scan as a white band.

That looks like a processing problem, maybe the edge of another neg touching during development.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, of course it is. I am an idiot, what a wonderful way to introduce myself

For 9x12 development I'm using some old JOBO inverson tank with 2021 reel. On the bottom of the tank it states that volume for 2x35 (the max volume stated) is 800ml and I did go with that.

Just measured the volume with 2021 reel, a bit under 1000ml. So where from the 'light leak'.

There are so many ways to shoot your leg in a-bit-larger-format-than-120. Just had wonderful wrestling with Yankee tank as well.

Thanks, Ian for quick reply.

Regards,
    Enno

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome Enno.

Search the back files and you will find many people have had trouble with the Jobo reels and the many brands of hand operated tanks. It is a very common problem. There are many here who are very faithful to tray development and many who like the Jobo Expert tanks. I use the Expert tanks myself in 4x5, and 8x10. In larger format 7x17 I use two sheets of film in extended 2500 tanks. Another friend paints developer on 8x20 film with a brush.

Light leaks in film holders are very common. Many people seem to sell their bad ones on eBay as mint or perfect condition. When I have purchased other people's film holders I have found it important to test them before using them on important shots.

Where is the location you photographed in the test shot? It looks like a wonderful and interesting place. What is the building?

Welcome.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, as for start, I find this JOBO tank OK, as well as Yankee actually. That might change in the future, towards the rotational systems. This particular problem was just my own laziness and assumption (known as the mother of all screw-ups). Not to mention mixing it up with light leak.

Good bit is of course that holders seem to be ok

The location is an old Pakri lighthouse, situated in north-west of Estonia. Built some 200 years ago, 200 meters away from shore line in that time. Now standing right on the edge of the cliff.

The other half of this shot is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/werra/3700347657/.

Location itself http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack...e:300000_type:

Scale and effect of collapsing shoreline is at best seen here: http://xgis.maaamet.ee/xgis-latlon.p...37717&out=xgis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For inversion use I don't think 1000 ml would be enough, I think I use about 1200 for inversion. The easiest way to make sure is to just fill the tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using Jobo 2000 series inversion tanks since 1976 and 1000ml is fine for a single 5x4 and the 9x12 spirals would actually require a little less.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    Well, as for start, I find this JOBO tank OK, as well as Yankee actually. That might change in the future, towards the rotational systems. This particular problem was just my own laziness and assumption (known as the mother of all screw-ups). Not to mention mixing it up with light leak.

Good bit is of course that holders seem to be ok

The location is an old Pakri lighthouse, situated in north-west of Estonia. Built some 200 years ago, 200 meters away from shore line in that time. Now standing right on the edge of the cliff.

The other half of this shot is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/werra/3700347657/.

Location itself http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack...e:300000_type:

Scale and effect of collapsing shoreline is at best seen here: http://xgis.maaamet.ee/xgis-latlon.p...37717&out=xgis
    Thank you Enno,

What a beautiful and exciting place. Thank you for all the information.

As you can read there are many opinions on APUG about the same thing. For me what is important is that there are often several routes to a satisfactory answer.

In case you have not already found it the Large Format forum is also a good place for information. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php

You will find many of the same people there, but also many different people. You now have many more sources of information. Good luck in your photography.

Enjoy.

John Powers

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Old buildings are interesting and often great motives for photography. Are there any buildings left in Tallinn from the time this part of Estonia was a part of the Swedish Empire, or did the russians demolish them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by werra View Post
    Ah, of course it is. I am an idiot, what a wonderful way to introduce myself
    I find it important to establish this fact early and often. Good for you for getting it out of the way! Welcome to APUG and thanks... I learned something from your question.

Sincerely,
    Brian, a fellow "idiot" at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin