Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,640   Online: 943

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wehman 8x10

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerold, I've been using the Wehman for 8x10 and 4x5 with a homemade (graflock w/folding hood) reducing back. It works with everything from my 90mm to 600. Not more than an inch of rise available with the 90mm though due to the bellows. For about a year I didn't touch my 4x5 camera since the wehman did everything I needed it to. The clamshell design is great for travel and the plexi ground glass works well too. It's a great camera for the landscape work I do. The front swing is a bit "sticky" but I use the rear swing mostly. There would be room on the front standard to drill holes for accessories. I drilled and threaded a hole in the top of the front standard so I can attach a hot shoe mount and a flexible lens shade into that. No repairs or maintenance needed so far. The finish is very durable and the camera is quick to set up, use and break down. The only things I don't like: the rear standard has a bit of play left to right (where it pivots) which I've fixed with some plastic washers. The bottom of the camera would benefit from two holes spaced further apart for longer quick release plates. I think it would make the camera more rigid with long lenses, maybe not. I think Bruce offers that modification or something along those lines. The Wehman/Linhof adapter I have sucks for use with factory spec linhof lens boards because the light baffles collide with the grooves cut into the face of the adapter. Sometimes it takes a minute to get the lens attached. The tolerances are just too tight.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Jerold, I've been using the Wehman for 8x10 and 4x5 with a homemade (graflock w/folding hood) reducing back. ...
    Are you the guy with the Wehman in the snow from his website?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Smitten

Today I was able to pay a visit to Mr. Wehman at his home and workshop to check out the camera. I was really impressed. The camera is quite simple and remarkably light. The gound glass (plexiglass) is bright and very nice. The bellows allow fairly extreme extension. The camera seems a little loose in terms of rigidity with a lot of extension, sort of like the flex in a Canham. Mr. Wehman is very personable and was agreeable to making some modifications for me. I have not quite pulled the trigger but I am fairly certain I will buy one. Thank you all for the input. I think it is just what I was looking for. I told him he should advertise here.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Jerold,

Glad you had a chance to play with one of his cameras in person. Bruce is a very nice guy and has always been helpful when I have contacted him. I think you will be happy with one of his cameras.

Gary
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Jerold, I've been using the Wehman for 8x10 and 4x5 with a homemade (graflock w/folding hood) reducing back. It works with everything from my 90mm to 600....
    How do you carry the reducing back if you are shooting both 8x10 and 4x5 (or do you do just one or the other)?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerold, I throw it on top of the camera inside my pack. The ground class is recessed enough the buckle on the camera doesn't get in the way. My reducing back is made of 1/4" ABS cut on my table saw and finished with a router. The first one I made was out of MDF painted with flat black paint. That actually held up quite well too. If you make your own be sure to add a 1/2" of material between the base and the 4x5 back you're using if you intend to use any instant film holders. They need more clearance than standard cut film holders.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

It's here

I received by new Wehman 8x10 camera today. Looks great. He modified it to accept Canham lens boards so I don't need adapters. He also drilled the top of the front standard and chamfered the material so it will accommodate my Arca Swiss compendium which fits nicely.

When I get a chance, I will try to post a review.

Thanks to all of you for the advice and information.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jerold,

I think you will be very happy with the camera. Let us know what you think after you have had some time to use it.

Garyy
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for hours.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My only regret is selling my old Wehman last year. I had intended to get a new one this year but with the price increase as well as the ecomomy the way it is, well, rats.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin