Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,614   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wehman 8x10

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took it out today for a first run in the field. My first go-round with 8x10. Setup is of course slower than 4x5 but I kind of liked that. I am using a reather light tripod, a Feisol 3342 with an Arca Z1 ball head so the camera looks a bit ponderous up top but the tripod held reasonable well. I did take one exposure of some water with a 2 sec shutter speed which I divided into 2 separate 1-sec exposures and somehow the camera got nudged so the neg looked like a double exposure.

I only exposed 3 sheets and found the 450mm lens just right for each. I need to invest in some longer arms to manage the front standard. Front tilt worked well. Need to figure out back tilt. The rear standard tends to get hung up on the zero detente and I haven't learned the trick yet. The back rotates easily from vertical to horizontal. The bail back works great. I love how compact it is folded and it is indestructable. 2 of the three negs look like they came out ok and are drying upstairs.

I am also getting the hang of BTZS 8x10 tubes. I think I prefer them to the Jobo (unless I had a lot of negs all exposed the same way so that processing times would be identical).
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerold it sounds like you are on your way with the Wehman camera, what film are you using with it. At 18 inches of bellows you were out there, what was the wind like? What is the maximum bellows extension for the camera? I still haven't selected a Feisol tripod for my use do you see yourself getting a heavier model now that you are doing 8x10 with larger lenses?

Best,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Jerold it sounds like you are on your way with the Wehman camera, what film are you using with it. At 18 inches of bellows you were out there, what was the wind like? What is the maximum bellows extension for the camera? I still haven't selected a Feisol tripod for my use do you see yourself getting a heavier model now that you are doing 8x10 with larger lenses?

Best,
    Curt
    Curt,

I bought my Feisol for an Arca Swiss F-Line 4x5 so the 3342 works great and weighs under 3 pounds. I would consider it the absolute minimum for the Wehman. With the 3342 I might ditch the head and use the leveling base but I have not personally tried that. Were I to buy another (?), I would get the 3471 for the Wehman. I wish that Feisol made an ultralight. The wind was not too bad, a breeze but the camera was steady without any special care.

The maximum bellows draw is 30.5 inches (~775 mm). Doubt I would do any front tilt at that point.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With 30.5 inches of bellows you aren't limited by bellows that's for sure. I have a Calumet C1, a Seneca 8x10 and two Kodak 2D 8x10 cameras, it's still exciting to see that much of a scene on the gg. What are your impressions of 8x10 if you are new to the format?

I have a 5x7 reducing back for the Calumet C1 but that only gets used for studio photography, I would not take it out in the field. I actually wouldn't take the Calumet away from the car. I have a nice restored 5x7 Kodak 2D with extension and it worked out well at Arches. My ultimate would be a 5x7 Ebony but it would bring an end to my 37 year marriage. I'm going to make a 5x7 field camera with the new Canham bellows I found on the eB** and some Deardorff parts but the Wehman is well worth looking at for 8x10.

Do you know if there is a 5x7 back for the Wehman camera?

I have a Beseler 45 and a Durst 138 that only needs a head, I was going for an 8x10 but I'm thinking about getting an Aristo 5x7 head and just doing 5x7 and smaller. I got a contact print frame for 8x10 and have been making some contact prints on Lodima, the sample I got. It makes for some nice images. I have 1000 sheets of Azo to use so enlarging 8x10 isn't necessary for me right now.

I use Kodak hard rubber tanks and SS hangers for many but tray for a few sheets and have been using Pyrocat HD and Amidol for printing. I tried Ansco 130 from Formulary and the Lodima prints well with that too and it's less toxic to use.

Good luck with the process,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love the 8x10 format. The ground glass is a lot to take in and I need to slow down. I like it that it is more contemplative (at least for me) and forces me to think through. It is also a bit intimidating because of that so I look forward to more practice.

Reducing backs are a great feature of the Wehman. Just supply him with a back of your choice and he will fabricate the reducing back. I bought a Sinar back (I have never seen one but assume they are good) from KEH, had them ship directly to him, and he is working on it now. I think I could squeeze down to 90 mm with minimal movements but no closer. But I could easily use the 450 with 4x5.

Sell off the old stuff, get a Wehman and keep your wife. It is light enough that she might agree to carry it. I have been trying to cajole Mr. Wehman into making a Wehman 8x10 enlarger but I don't know if he will bite. I found a Beseler 8x10 conversion light source. Have not had a chance to use it but I fired it up, focused a negative, and it seems like it will work well. If you can find an 8x10 light source, go for it. You can still enlarge the 5x7 on it. Or, you could use the 8x10 camera for contact prints and the 5x7 for enlargements which will eventually result in the purchase of an 8x10 light source.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jerold those are some excellent suggestions, a Wehman enlarger would be great, he is a very talented designer.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If only TMY-2 and Acros came in 8x10 Readyloads and Quickloads for an affordable amount, I'd be shooting a lot more 8x10.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin