Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,556   Posts: 1,599,325   Online: 943

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4X5 field camera choices

Trying to decide between the Chamonix and the Shen Hao 4X5 field cameras. I can order from Baxter or wait for Chamonix so I have time to read others experience with either of these fine cameras as well as ordering experience from China or Basters. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    ... I can order from Baxter or wait... as well as ordering experience from China or Basters.... Thanks
    Do you mean "Badger", as in " http://www.badgergraphic.com/index.html "?

There is much discussion of these two here and especially on:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry about that, Badgergraphic.com is the one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry about that, Badgergraphic.com is the one.
    I have not used either of them. From my own research, I would prefer the Chamonix. This is a link to a video showing the 8x10 Chamonix. Not the 4x5 but you get the idea. I am not sure, but I recall that Really Big Cameras is dealing with Chamonix now even though it is not yet on the website.

Badger is good to deal with too.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have made several orders form Badger including a Shen-Hao and have been very happy with both. The Shen has worked very well for me and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a beautiful camera and the craftsmanship is very good. It was/is my first LF camera and I don't plan to change or upgrade anytime soon, in fact I really have never thought about upgrading.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Trying to decide between the Chamonix and the Shen Hao 4X5 field cameras. I can order from Baxter or wait for Chamonix so I have time to read others experience with either of these fine cameras as well as ordering experience from China or Basters. Thanks
    You want a Bastard 4x5? Is that what you are trying to say Richard??
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Badger Graphic is a great outfit to deal with. Both the cameras you mention have a loyal following and have certainly produced excellent photographs. Hugo and Richard are fine gentlemen as well.
    Here is what I would consider:
    1) Which focal length lenses will you be using? Which camera has the bellows which will support using these lenses (both wide or long?)

2) Both cameras as capable as far as movements go, so that probably is a non-issue to you.

3)The Chamonix looks (to me anyway) to be more finely crafted of the two. Does that make a difference to you personally? Is it worth spending extra money for? Only you can decide that.

4) Which looks like the camera you can imagine yourself using and enjoying? I know it sounds strange, but if if you enjoy looking at a given camera you'l probably enjoy playing with it too. Getting out there and using the thing seems to be an issue for many. If you choose a camera you enjoy using, that will supply some extra motivation.

5) Wieght and bulk. Especially if back packing is in the cards. If you'll be working out of the trunk, or in a studio this isn't much of an issue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Download picures of both of them.

Both have more or less the same movements, both have exchangable bellows.
    One cost more than the other.

I have the Shen Hao HZX45-IIA and love it and am thinking of building a PTB54 myself in Brazil Wood.

If you want to work in the studio with it aswell go for a Shen Hao that has a focussing back.
    (In the studio you focus with the back instead of the front)

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Chamonix I'm considering would be built with Teak, a universal bellows for the wide format and long lenses, and done in grey aluminum. Makes it more of a "tropical". The price with all the add ons make it quite a bit more than the Shen Hao, and I think I may still be inclined for the Chamonix.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I absolutely love my chamonix that I bought via Hugo.... I sold my original shen hao to get the chamonix and could not be happier with the decision.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin