Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,487   Online: 896

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two thumbs up for the Shen Hao. I gave in and ordered one, and it arrived on Tuesday. The range of movements for such a compact camera is amazing. It's no monorail, but I suspect I'll seldom wish I had one in the field.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is why I use a Toho. It's half the weight of an Ebony, and has full movements on both front and rear standards. If you value function over form it's even prettier than an Ebony.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The movements I use in descending order of frequency for mainly Landscapes and occasional Buildings

Front Rise (gets rid of excess foreground)
    Rear Lateral Shift (I like the slightly unusual perspective and it helps line/misalign objects & trees – on my Ebony the rear shift control is easier to access than the front when under the darkcloth)
    Front Fall (enhanced foreground gives a greater sense of depth to photographs)
    Rear Rise (only when I am starting to run out of front fall)
    Front Lateral Shift (only when I am running out of rear lateral shift)

However, the choice of necessary movements is a very personal thing.

IMO, you are probably best initially using your Horseman as a Field Camera and finding out what movements you like to use.

Make your choice of Field Camera on what movements you do/don’t want

It has always amazed me how little movement I actually want when using a 90mm – probably the classic case of “less is more”

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your further comments above. I think you are probably right Martin - movement preferences are a somewhat personal thing. But it has been good to hear some of those prefs here. Which Ebony do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    This being said, a Sinar F travels surprisingly well in a backpack, lacks nothing as far as movement, and they are very reasonably priced now. My F1 weighs in at about 6 lbs. sans lens. Your Horseman may be just as good for carrying.
    I wish! The Horseman is a terrific sturdy studio camera, but weighs 10.5 pounds without any lens, tripod, film holders etc. Carrying it around with food and camping gear for a couple of days quickly gets tedious... (Some of the terrain I like to cover is pretty rough Peter, so the trolley idea is not the answer for me unfortunately...)

Anybody know how good those personal jetpacks are these days?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Which Ebony do you use?

I have a 45S and love it - it is just a lovely tactile thing to use

It has all the movements I think I will ever need and can easily handle my preferred lens lengths

YMMV

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin