Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 920

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I still do. I have an old 89 IR filter from back when Wratten was affordable, as well as the three separation filters (25,47 and 68 I think) as well as a y15, y15 and orange.

I carry them around in in the original envelope and foil in my monorail kit, because here the cost of dedicated filters for the different lenses is a killer. Plus even if to economise, and filter with glass for the largest size lens would need about 3 or more stacked step rings to get down to the smallest size of lens.

I have a little holder that has a spring action to hold it on the lens, a holder for the gel, and a couple of small barn doors that can be handy to shade the lens to boot.

Rosco makes a 'designer' sized swatch book of about 3"x5". I have from time to time snipped a 3" square off of that book for a special project ot two, because the whole book costs under $30. The base of the Rosco is similiar to the Lee, and not always perfect. Oh well.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up some replacement filters for welding helmets. They are made of glass and available in different densities. Size is about 4 1/2 x 5 3/8. Okay for black and white as they have a green tint to them. I have no issues with the glass quality. IIRC they are available in at least 5 densities, the darkest of which has to be over 3..
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

I have a set of glass Wrattens that fit my series VI press on adapter, which fit most of the lenses that I use on the 4x5. They are very nice (and cheap, too!) First quality stuff!The Wratten gels are something I know nothing about other than Ansel Adams used them. The closest I've got would be Lee polyesters which fit the 8x10 lenses using a rubber band thingy. I haven't been able to find press on adapters that fit my larger lenses

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I love the wrattens, I'm always looking to buy them from whoever is selling ( as long as they are not new) There isn't much to say about then other than high optical quality and their diversity of many different kinds of filters for black and white, they also set the standard for filter numbers, I know a filters characteristics by it's number so when I'm forced to use some off brand I find either it's kodak wratten number or compare it's transmission to the wrattens in nanometers , if such information is given anymore...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use Kodak gel filters, too. They get handled with kid gloves and stored in a hard-shell case (an old floppy disk holder - 8" size for anyone who remembers them).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Rosco filters swatch books, even the 'give away' small 1" x 3" all have a paper separator that includes the filter number, the 'name' - commonly used by some theatrical lighting designers, and a graph of the % transmittancy vs wavelength in nm.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've accumulated quite a lot of these, usually with purchases of other large format equipment. When I want to travel light, I can bring a set of 3x3" gels that I keep in one of these--

http://www.moleskine.com/catalogue/c...ts__pocket.php

And a little Voss 3x3" gel holder with barn doors, and it takes good deal deal of weight and bulk out of the bag compared to a wallet or two of glass filters, and for many of my older odd-sized lenses, the clip on filter holder is the most convenient method of attaching filters.

Lee thin polyester filters are also pretty good and generally more durable than gelatin filters.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use a Voss 3x3 inch gel holder as well, and a few decades old gels. I can't find the Voss for sale anymore, but the larger retailers have reasonable equivalents.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I still use Kodak gel filters, too. They get handled with kid gloves and stored in a hard-shell case (an old floppy disk holder - 8" size for anyone who remembers them).
    I use the 3" and a 3 1/4" disk holder. It holds an easy eight or slightly squeezed 10 in the original envelopes.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Gel filters are absolutely the best. Period. I used them all the time before the prices went out of sight. Even then they were painful to buy.

Try using them in the field for a while in any other than calm, dry conditions. In Oregon, when shooting in the rain, mist, fog, or on the coast, glass just makes more sense, especially to the wallet. I switched to all glass about 5 or 6 years ago. No, you can't stack a bunch of them. I don't often stack filters, and if I do need to add a yellow to a polarizer, I just do it and move on. No one has ever looked at one of my prints and said "Oh, you must have stacked two glass filters on this one."

I have a filter wallet originally intended for gel filters. My nice B&W glass filters tended to slide out of it whenever I was shooting on rocks. I now screw them all together and put screw-on lens caps on the ends of the stacks. Bulky, maybe, but not that inconvenient.

Peter Gomena

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin