Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,290   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Please ID this 5x7 sheet film

I can't locate this in my sheet-film notch-code cheat-sheet. I have 5 holders, well now 4, loaded with this film. I just got the camera & accessories this morning and don't think the camera has been used or the case opened since 1957.

Any ideas?
    Did I mention I'm also an idiot?
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 03-18-2010 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you going to give us any more clues? Perhaps a picture of the notches?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to my '74 Kodak Darkroom data guide, it's Super Panchro-Press, Type B, ASA 250, it recommends 8 minutes in HC-110 dilution B.
    It also says D-76 is not recommended().

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately some of the EFKE & Forte films have that single notch, and it's only use is to tell you which is the emulsion side, so don't expect to be able to identify the film by it. Although I doubt those films were imported into the US back then

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for your feedback. It's been too long since I was under the cloth and I have soooo much to remember and learn. I'll go ahead, burn a few sheets and go spend some time on the can.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again, thanks for the information. I processed an unexposed sheet to see what 52 years of ambient radiation has done. As expected, the film is badly fogged and unusable. It makes me want to buy an old chest freezer and line it with lead. Seriously. 5x7 film is tough enough to find now, and it's not going to get any easier.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Usually when i see the triangle notches i think older kodak films

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    ..It makes me want to buy an old chest freezer and line it with lead. Seriously...
    Lead won't do you any good. Seriously. The cosmic radiation that fogs film passes right through lead. You'd need many feet of earth to attenuate it sufficiently and then would also need to be away from radon gas.

..5x7 film is tough enough to find now, and it's not going to get any easier.
    It's not really tough to find 5x7 film now. What are you looking for that's sold in 4x5/8x10 but isn't available as 5x7?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Lead won't do you any good. Seriously. The cosmic radiation that fogs film passes right through lead. You'd need many feet of earth to attenuate it sufficiently and then would also need to be away from radon gas.

It's not really tough to find 5x7 film now. What are you looking for that's sold in 4x5/8x10 but isn't available as 5x7?
    Interesting about the cosmic radiation, I recall a NOVA program a few years back in which they explored a laboratory specially designed / built to eliminate any radiation, cosmic or otherwise. The lab was buried in the Suisse Alpes.

As for film, I have been looking, and indeed it is available. Just not in the same choices as I had hoped.

I was looking for T-max 400 and Portra 400 VC & NC. I was hoping to stay out of the low-end of the shutter speeds on this old (redundant) 8½" Ektar. I suppose I could give the shutter (Acme # 3) a CLA.

Is 5" roll stock still available in any modern emulsions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...I was looking for T-max 400 and Portra 400 VC & NC. I was hoping to stay out of the low-end of the shutter speeds on this old (redundant) 8½" Ektar. I suppose I could give the shutter (Acme # 3) a CLA...
    Those two are not currently possible. Last year Glazer's did a special order of TMY-2

http://www.glazerscamera.com/kodak-ulf-film.html

but it's sold out now in 5x7. Same notch code as your mystery film, by the way. The only 5x7 Portra I'm aware of is 160NC

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...50_Sheets.html.

You're probably best off having Carol Miller give the shutter a CLAC.

http://www.flutotscamerarepair.com/

...Is 5" roll stock still available in any modern emulsions?
    I'll defer to Jim Galli and others on that question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin