Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,452   Online: 1134

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

LF Lens question

I have 150mm lens that doesn't have the coverage I want, but does have a good and accurate shutter on,obviously, the correct type of lensboard. Is it possible to remove the lens elements from the shutter and swap in different ones that will give me more coverage or are LF shutters specifically fitted to each lens? If it is possible how do I know what Copal my shutter is? Is it always found printed on the shutter? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes if the shutters relatively modern. Rimset Compur's set the standard for modern shutters, prior to that there was no standard.

But it may not be straight forward, as an example a 135mm Tessar was in a Compur 1 but a 135mm or 150mm Symmar/Sironar needs a smaller Compur 0 shutter.

So best tell us what you have

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ulysses19 View Post
    Is it possible to remove the lens elements from the shutter and swap in different ones that will give me more coverage or are LF shutters specifically fitted to each lens? If it is possible how do I know what Copal my shutter is? Is it always found printed on the shutter? Thanks.
    Not only is it possible, that's one of the best selling points of shooting LF. It's very easy to keep a spare shutter or two in your kit. In the unlikely event one spontaneously goes kaput, simply unscrew the front & rear elements from the faulty shutter and screw them into your spare.

As for determining the size shutter, I'll try to post a link to S.K. Grimes' chart.

http://www.skgrimes.com/lensmount/shutmt/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i guess the short answer is "it depends"
    sometimes shutters need spacers / shims between
    the elements and the shutter where the lens is seated
    so they will focus.
    some shutters have "no problem" ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In practical terms, when you buy a new-to-you lens (like the 150mm with the coverage you want) it will likely come with its own shutter. You could look for one with a junk/broken shutter and swap out the shutter that you currently have in many cases. But I don't see a lot of matched lens pairs for sale. Frequently I see just the front or rear element alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably. A good candidate would be a G-claron 150. A Kowa, Kowa Graphic, Kyvyx, or Computar F9 lens might also work, but you'd have to check.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i notice you are in providence ..
    bring your lens to zack's camera repair on hope street
    i am sure mike can help you figure out what shutter you have ..

he knows his stuff!

john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ulysses19: what 150mm do you have right now and how much coverage do you want/need ?

A modern 150mm Symar or Sironar will give you about 4cm of movement, if you want more you are looking at W or XL types that are very pricy.
    And all of them come with their own shutters ofcourse.

Just swapping lensparts around looks and sounds easy, but reality is diferent.

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A g-claron will cover about 80* when stopped down to f45, they are regularly available in barrels, and usually they screw right in to a copal #1 shutter. They are single coated, which is fine, and they can be used as a convertible lens, using only the rear cell, to get a longer lens. As always, though, doing this will result in a lens that doesn't perform quite as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on the lens you may need to recalibrate the aperture scale.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin