Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,161   Online: 819

View Poll Results: Equipment upgrades?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get a camera

1 5.26%
  • Get a lens

11 57.89%
  • Get a job

1 5.26%
  • Nothing major to fix

6 31.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks fellas,

Some of the later posts feel like real good advice- chill out and work on calibrating my system with what I've got. Lots of experience and insight that even helped calm me down a little on this equipment thing.

However, I did decide to get a lens(150 Nikkor-W). I just was not sure about the old lens esp. having been disassembeled, shutters changed, shutter accuracy, etc. So with that one variable eliminated, hopefully I will be able to identify/correct problems elsewhere and realize the best prints possible.

Other than that, I'm going to stop worrying about gear and go burn some film!

Thanks again for the responses, it was esp great to get responses from voices that are familiar to me from following the forum.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    thanks fellas,

Some of the later posts feel like real good advice- chill out and work on calibrating my system with what I've got. Lots of experience and insight that even helped calm me down a little on this equipment thing.

However, I did decide to get a lens(150 Nikkor-W). I just was not sure about the old lens esp. having been disassembeled, shutters changed, shutter accuracy, etc. So with that one variable eliminated, hopefully I will be able to identify/correct problems elsewhere and realize the best prints possible.

Other than that, I'm going to stop worrying about gear and go burn some film!

Thanks again for the responses, it was esp great to get responses from voices that are familiar to me from following the forum.

Matt
    Great! Be sure to get back to us with your results.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good choice. That's a lens you'll always be able to use, and it's a good value. When you really need something new, you'll know it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes I feel "oh @'%%$$£££&*********##=-~~~ it all-I'll just get a standard lens and just photograph with that (on whatever 8x10 I decide to get). Too many choices in equipment can be paralysing -you might miss a great pic while deciding which of your 8 lenses to use. Filters etc? I don't even want to think about going there.....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog
    Sometimes I feel "oh @'%%$$£££&*********##=-~~~ it all-I'll just get a standard lens and just photograph with that (on whatever 8x10 I decide to get). Too many choices in equipment can be paralysing -you might miss a great pic while deciding which of your 8 lenses to use. Filters etc? I don't even want to think about going there.....
    Absolutely! When that happens to me, I grab the Koni Omega (90mm attached normally), maybe a #15 filter and just GO!. If my memory works, I might take a tripod. If it is in high gear, I might even remember the "quick change" adapter plate. :-)
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For me, it boils down to a tendency to become a "gearhead"- no matter what the pursuit. I can go on and on about my 79 Les Paul Custom w/ coil-tapped handwound Bill Lawrence PUP's, vintage stompboxes, Class-A all tube combos, etc, etc...

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with having interest and passion for tools and equipment, esp items like lenses or guitars which are the products of so much awe-inspiring artistry and engineering. Lusting after well-made gear and trying to find great bargins or "sleepers" is part of the fun. (I personally think having unlimited resources to just go out and buy the best of everything would be less enjoyable, in a way.)

On the other hand, sometimes I need to remind myself why I take pictures, play music, etc... and that the equipment is a means, not an end...

(Also, I can get plenty screwed up in the field just trying to expose film with the equipment I do have, as you will see by my next post.)

-Matt

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For me, it boils down to a tendency to become a "gearhead"- no matter what the pursuit. I can go on and on about my 79 Les Paul Custom w/ coil-tapped handwound Bill Lawrence PUP's, vintage stompboxes, Class-A all tube combos, etc, etc...

Here is a site you can visit to lust after other equipment that will take more money out of your photo budget.

and this is way off topic http://www.stevensguitars.com

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being in touch with my inner pack-rat, I would say that if your equipment is working (shutter is repeatable, lens can be seen through, film-holders light-tight), then stick with what you have and resist the urge to accumulate.

If you feel the need to invest a little, get a couple of nice frames and mats, and display a few of your current favorites. One of the better photo purchases I made in the last year was a pair of 16" color prints of a pair of pictures from a well-enjoyed trip.

On the other hand, if one of my coworkers who hunts can talk about having a duck-gun, varmit rifle, etc. (or even worse, the golfers with the infinity of clubs), then I don't feel so bad about the pocket camera and landscape 4x5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin