Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,343   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Instant Films

How to open a prontor press shutter to fix dislodged shutter blade?

I've hunted the usual places as well as the discussions here but i'm having no luck, apologies if this is mentioned in another discussion and i'm just dragging it back up again!

I recently got a beautiful condition protor-press shutter with a 127mm rodenstock lens.
    I dont have a photo of the shutter yet but its exactly like this one....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8986443...ol-camerapedia

Everything is fine except when i opened the aperture up all the way i noticed one of the shutter blades has slipped, i can see when looking in the back that one of the 6 blades is sitting off to the side and on top of two other blades.

I have had a quote to get it professionally fixed but as i don't have a huge budget the cost is something i cant afford right now or in the near future so i am considering looking into it myself.

I may be mad yes but i've always pulled things to bits and am quite good with fiddly items so i'm hoping i can do it without causing any damage.

I was wondering if anyone has service doco for a prontor press or maybe a webpage with some instructions on how to get to the shutter blades?

I can see that the aperture blades are behind the shutter blades so am guessing that going in through the front is going to be easier then through the back. That said i cant see any way to take the front off only the 4 screws on the back that can be removed.

Any help or links to pages with info would be hugely appreciated

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove the front group, it just unscrews. That will reveal a retaining ring or hidden screws. Pull them/that & the name plate will just lift off. Note the orientation of the speed dial for when you reassemble it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hey guys, i have a prontor press shutter and part of the lens group seems lodged in it so i can't get the four retaining screws on the front plate out.

please help :O

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i used a rubber glove with a hose clamp to tighten around the middle group and unscrew. all good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or how to make a Prontor Press Paper Weight.

Be careful. Them is itty bitty parts and they need to go back in the same way. Take images as you work.

I have opened, cleaned, and adjusted a couple of cheaper shutters (120 folders) but when it comes time for serious work (my 300mm Ektar for my 8x10), it's worth the money knowing it's done right, won't fail out in the field, and the speeds are set and timed to spec. That 127 is a nice, very usable lens.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The Prontor Press is actually unusual in that you open it from the back. First set it to T and fire the shutter to open the blades. Then take the screws out in the back and don't turn it over. The blades will be overlapping in a clockwise manner, I think. The first blade has another blade laid on top of it to form a double blade. (Actually that double is the last one you put in when putting it back together.) You can take all the blades out and clean them off, no problem.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i picked up this baby for free with a dallmeyer 76/2.8, built into a custom box for fixed focus shooting using a polaroid back (from 1986).

i took the back off and opened it up, and a little spring connected to the main shutter timing gear popped out. i can't get it to go back in exactly - my photo didn't show where it was!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring-issue-1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	493.5 KB 
ID:	69581
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring-issue-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	587.1 KB 
ID:	69582

the arrows point to the gear and where I think the spring should go - but when i install it there and turn the shutter speed dial, it pops out which makes me think it's wrong.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    (the spring in question can be seen in the bottom left corner of the second pic)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That Jack-in-the-box effect has probably been experienced by anyone having done a lot of repairs on anything mechanical. And still it remains a nightmare.

The only remedy should be a proper maintanance manual. I rarely have those...
    Last edited by AgX; 05-31-2013 at 08:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    i don't seem to be able to find one for this shutter. I don't usually work on mechanical things on this scale. the spring is like a hair!

looks like this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360_d2643059d16a92d3cf481e400e38e53e.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	69583

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin