Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,674   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Turner Reich Triple Convertible

I have a chance to buy one at a good price, but are they any good.

Back in the UK I do have a Gundlach 12" Radar and it's a bit of a dog but that's mainly due to the Betax shutter, and my Dagor is lighter and sharper

This ones in a Regno. Front element 24" rear 18", unsure what the combination is.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Ian. I have one (28,21,12). Put together they perform well, keeping in mind the vintage and coatings (or rather lack thereof) When using one cell or the other sharpness drops unless you use a filter as the individual cells don't seem to be corrected for chromatic aberration. I'm always shooting B&W with a yellow or more filter, so it doesn't bug me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's kind of what I guessed Jason, perhaps I should try my Dagor split first

I'm not generally in favour of split lenses, I have a 240mm Symmar somewhere that splits but it's single cells are only really usable stopped down well, I've never met anyone who actually uses early Symmars split.

But then the Turner Reich is cheap, I don't know, maybe I should save up for an XVa when Cooke design & release the 5x4 version

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 12-19-25 TR Triple Convertible. It is quite acceptable, but it is very prone to flare/ghosting in the fully assembled position if you have a light-source within the image. They have wicked coverage circles though, so if you have to use movements, in that regard they're quite the blessing in disguise. I've used mine converted on my 5x12 and with the 19" cell installed, I can push my Canham to the limits of movement and not run out of circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks you've made my mind up. I work in conditions where flare is a major problem, so it appears a "Turner Reich Triple Convertible" is a no go. My late 30's Dagor was factory coated (after WWII) and doesn't flare.

A few months ago I shot with a coated CJZ 50's 150mm Tessar and had no flare, but a modern zoom on my D***** flared badly, I often have a light source within the image, I've had to stop using my pre-War 135mm Tessar because of internal flare.

So very useful information, many thanks.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know -- Walker Evans used a TR Triple Convertible (often with one or two elements removed) for his 8x10 FSA photographs in the '30s. He was shooting in Alabama in the summer, often at high noon (developing at night under a blanket in his hotel room). I just wish I could get results like that up here in the Great White North. If I could find this lens in good shape for a reasonable price I'd certainly go for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While we're on the subject of these lenses! I've had a few odd marks on my negs which I couldn't attribute to anything other than a light-leak or flare and I'm pretty certain the bellows are in good condition, seeing as in more subdued lighting conditions haven't caused any problems. Then again, one shot I pointed directly at the sun peering through clouds came out fine. This was taken with a turner reich triple convertible 12-21-28 Underexposed too, which is fault of my own
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails negcloseup.jpg   lakedistrict3.jpg  

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a 12 - 21 - 28 and it made some very nice images - not the contrast and sharpity one gets with modern lenses, but I wish I still had it. I got rid of it at a time when I thought sharp and contrast were the be-all and end all. Oh well

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    I don't know -- Walker Evans used a TR Triple Convertible (often with one or two elements removed) for his 8x10 FSA photographs in the '30s. He was shooting in Alabama in the summer, often at high noon (developing at night under a blanket in his hotel room). I just wish I could get results like that up here in the Great White North. If I could find this lens in good shape for a reasonable price I'd certainly go for it.
    Curious what kind of sharpness he got with two elements removed.

FWIW a big issue with T-R is balsam seperation around the edges---it's quite common on the examples I've seen. Stopping down takes care of the problem of course and T-Rs generally go for nice prices, however I'd opt for a Wollensak 1a if I were going to go the triple convertable route.
    IIRC, Ansel Adams "Golden Gate" was shot with a TR triple convertable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin